Page 78 of 269 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

Good Information

Some of the guys I know in the UK, who have been involved with these cars for a while, simply refer to M471 as "Sport" and M472 as "Touring". Then it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd series. Categorisation makes sense to me done this way.

My RHD car is #739, a Touring, in Dalmatian Blue, and did have thinner metal. But it also had it's backside nobly raced off across international rally stages in the 70's and on the track in the Pirelli series in the 80's. So, like many cars that were used as the good Dr intended, not much of that thin metal would have survived when it came to restoration.

I am told that it's now available again from Germany, so I would think a few OCD owners (like myself) might be considering reinstating it!
    S-Reg #3160

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    --------
    * (The Paris Salon de l'Automobile launch of was a couple of weeks earlier that month on 5th - the RS appears briefly in this unusual short film on YouTube courtesy of ina.fr - around the 2min 55secs point.) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smRQTxs9bo4
    The comments are interesting.
    In short, "the Porsche are excellent cars, robust also. The engine is at the back and this does not please everyone. You need to know how to drive."

JB
    Do you have it back in Dalmation Blue? the last time I saw a photo of your car it was white with Blue when Mark Waring had it for sale. You are certainly correct about it being used as the good Dr intended. I would love to see you post some current photos and especially photos if you have them of its previous competition life.

Quote Originally Posted by JB21 View Post
    Some of the guys I know in the UK, who have been involved with these cars for a while, simply refer to M471 as "Sport" and M472 as "Touring". Then it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd series. Categorisation makes sense to me done this way.

My RHD car is #739, a Touring, in Dalmatian Blue, and did have thinner metal. But it also had it's backside nobly raced off across international rally stages in the 70's and on the track in the Pirelli series in the 80's. So, like many cars that were used as the good Dr intended, not much of that thin metal would have survived when it came to restoration.

I am told that it's now available again from Germany, so I would think a few OCD owners (like myself) might be considering reinstating it!
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

It seems to be back to its original configuration now:
    http://www.my911carrerars.com/known_...sis=9113600739

Except the right side mirror that should be round, shouldn't it be?

It would be my pleasure, Hugh. Here's a relatively recent picture and some shots from the Donegal and Manx in '76.

The car is just finishing an engine rebuild; and we have tracked down some original Recaros which are being trimmed in original vinyl with Pepita inserts, and a rear collision bar and a Durrant drivers mirror, all as per the CoA and G+K book. Also managed to find some correct heat exchangers and muffler, and a flapper box to detail the engine bay. Some small further mods to take care of, but it never really ends, does it?!

Mr Waring himself is involved and was able to help me track down a host of photos and stories about the car and it's owners as well as the original GJC 24 plate it wore in competition, when owned by Geoff Crabtree and later Keith Russell. The file is coming along nicely. When you learn how these cars were used by the fanatical racing crowd and you get into what they were prepared to do with top-end, brand new sports cars in the day, it really does give you a sense of what a fantastic model this was.

P1000459.jpgDonegal 1976_S1-A2-21-Geoff Crabtree.jpgDonegal_1976_CTP-S3-F3-21-Geoff Crabtree.jpgDonegal_1976_CTP-S9-C5-21-Geoff Crabtree (1).jpgManx 1976_S4-F3-Geoff Crabtree.jpgManx 1976_S7-F5-18-Geoff Crabtree.jpgpicture two.jpg
    S-Reg #3160

JB

fantastic shots. I have been looking for a shot of the Pirelli livery for a long time. Do you have the poster from that year with the car on it?

do you have these shots of the 1976 Donegal in your files?
    crabtree donegal 76 9113600739.jpgdonegal 76 crabtree 9113600739.jpg

also do you know if the tangerine RS that he drove in the 1976 Galway was the same car (0739) or another one that had the same registration plates? To me it looks like a different car.
    crabtree 1976 but what car.jpg this photo (as well as one of the others you posted ) is from Mark Copeland's great book on Irish rallying.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thin Gauge RS Panels

Quote Originally Posted by JB21 View Post
    . . . I am told that it's now available again from Germany, so I would think a few OCD owners (like myself) might be considering reinstating it! . . .
    Another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...nel+thinner%27

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks Hugh...yes, I have the Irish Rallying book. Fabulous, much under-appreciated period for Porsche gravel bashing. Though I believe the story is growing as two cars from this period were definitely on display at Hedingham recently. And I had seen those other shots of my car but not put them in the collection yet. I do have loads more. Here's a couple including a vision of what happened to your Fuchs if you treat them to air and pot holes too regularly.

Donegal_1976_CTP-S6-C2-21-Geoff Crabtree.jpg Donegal_1976_CTP-S5-E3-21-Geoff Crabtree.jpg

And I have another one for you of the Pirelli liveried and sponsored car on the start line at, I think, Snetterton?

picture one.JPG.

Actually met one of the mechanics who ran the car for Mr Russell yesterday by pure chance. More stories will drop from that meeting I am sure.

Now the tangerine car may in fact have been red. Trick of the light. I was initially confused by the number plate swapping around into actually thinking that my car was the one Geoff drove (and finished!) the Lombard RAC in 1975 with. But that would have meant the car went from blue in '73 to red in '75 and back to blue in '76. Unlikely. Closer inspection and a conversation persuaded me that he had another car. From memory, a damaged E (?) was imported from Morocco (?) and an RS engine dropped in. Not sure if he had two 911/83 engines but anyway, that was a red car and, at least, my owner and plate, maybe engine, did the RAC with the greats. Here's the proof...

1975 RAC Rally - Rally Sport.jpg

Also I do have a poster shot here

Poster.jpg

where the car wearing GJC 24 is at the front of the pack heading into a very famous English racing corner. It's the 1987 season advertising poster so this race was '86 or earlier. The car was then black. Another number plate head fake? No. I have the invoice made out by Nick Faure who sold it to Keith Russell in the early 80's and the car was by then black and in RSR shape according to Nick's own hand. Flares would have been removed for the races later but colour and diagonal striping was confirmed by above mentioned mechanic only yesterday. So I assume the car went white when Pirelli sponsorship money rolled in, £20k in the mid 80's was sizeable, and the car was upgraded for A class racing.

A heck of a story and I am still working on it. Will keep me busy for a while yet!

All the best,

John
    S-Reg #3160

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Hi JB

They were as you say top-end sports cars.

Here is the British-market List Price and UK Total Price in £ Sterling in November '72 ie shortly after RS was launched in October of that year. List also shows the other MY73 model prices.

As a benchmark the Jaguar E-type V12 2+2 manual was £3631 at same date, (gotta love the precision of the one Pound!) when your RS M472 was £6255!

Attachment 349635

Small delta of ~£150 between the series S coupé and RS (option M471). The Touring (option M472) was ~ £430 more. Given the ratio of M471 to M472 sold, few customers wanted their cars in spartan trim back in the day - so the marketplace decided the ratio.

Targa S Sportomatic was £6243 when RS M471 was just £5826 and top of range M472 was£6255 - makes interesting reading with benefit of 40+ years' hindsight.

Not sure how many S Targa Sportomatics were sold in UK that year. I think the British-market Sportomatic unit sales figure might have been published in Porsche Club GB magazine Sportomatic register section recently, if anyone keeps their back copies? I do know someone who has a MY 72 UK RHD version in S coupé Sportomatic configuration however - nice car.

Porsche apparently had not at that stage learned the trick of charging more - for less

I wonder how much my parents spent on my Raleigh Chopper bicycle around that time? Just checked in www and the price was from approximately £32 for a standard Chopper to £55 for the deluxe so I was a few digits short on budget to buy an RS in the day even if I had been old enough to have driven one).
    Even if you use merely official inflation figures thats 70k in todays money. If you use stock market returns, MUCH MUCH more. But I wonder if the outlandish difference to UK Jag might be exaggerated by weird, old 70's duties on foreign imports at a time when the domestic car business was on dying a horrible death? However, exaggerated or not, in my mind an M471/472 is easily twice the car of a late E-type, however or whenever you cut it up.
    S-Reg #3160