Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please be on the lookout, '87-89 Carrera (with damage)

Wink '87-'89 Carrera some damage

Hey Zeke..I think i understand your delima but why's it gotta be a '87 > up,
    I personally don't see much advantage over say an earlier Carrera but for the
    added price and shorter torsion bars ? Huh ?
    There's currently a minimally damaged '84 Carrera over on Pelican in LA going for I think $3900.00 w/o engine and trans ,I don't believe they come much
    less than that ,that is if you haven't seen it already..good luck,Bert

Quote Originally Posted by budge96
    Hey Zeke..I think i understand your delima but why's it gotta be a '87 > up,
    I personally don't see much advantage over say an earlier Carrera but for the
    added price and shorter torsion bars ?
    The G50 transaxle change is considered a major premium in the 3.2 Carreras, making the '87-89 models more desireable. The change to hydraulic clutch is a big one, also.
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    The G50 transaxle change is considered a major premium in the 3.2 Carreras, making the '87-89 models more desireable. The change to hydraulic clutch is a big one, also.
    TT
    And, I edited my 1st post to reflect that I would consider any Carrera, and now maybe an SC. But, I'm not saying this because I'm in any hurry. Simply giving myself more options. The right car at the right price is more important.

Cars in other regions are less likely to be considered and as I said, I want a complete car. Thanks to all who have read this. Thru networking, I will find a car.

Milt, I think I found your car. PM sent.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Don't mean to make this thread into a soap, but I chased down an '84 today that came up on Pelican. Turns out the seller bought it from the guy who wrecked it. Now, the original guy took the insurance money and signed the papers for "savage retention." Then he turns around and sells the car with the "pink slip" all signed like it was legitimate. In fact, it was totally worthless. I checked the VIN with the DMV. That's where I learned the car was in the system as retained salvage.

The next person to own this car will have to jump thru major hoops if he ever expects to register the car. I know, BTDT. But what do you think of someone that would "sell" a car using the pink as the bill of sale when it was not in fact valid any more? Scary world anymore.

BTW, the motor was strong and is available for the usual price with the tranny. If you need a 3.2 for your early car, I can recommend this one. It's on Pelican as "'84 ccoupe with damage."

Zeke

Here is a 79 SC on ebay. Looks like a good candidate!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...71064644QQrdZ1

Jon

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

As of late, I've been thinking along the lines of a 74-75 middy with the narrow body, no power steering or brakes and reasonably light weight (especially after I dump the duckbill bumpers). I'd look at any decent car of those two years. doesn't have to run and could be a roller. I have an engine and tranny.

Some collison damage is acceptable as long as I can repair it sucessfully. Again, no Targas and I'd prefer to stay away from salvage titles. Thanks.