Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!

A day to honor those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8ace170b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8ace170b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8ace170b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8ace170b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Last edited by Haasman; 05-29-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: image offensive
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Banned
    A very somber reason to have a holiday.

Let us all remember the men and women who have given EVERYTHING for our freedom.

Well said Frank.

As we usually do, we started our Memorial day joining with quite a number of local groups and individuals in placing thousands of flags at our local cemetery. It's considered to be a kind of "Arlington of the West". This was the first year I would place a flag on my own fathers grave, as he passed late last year. In addition I now pick up the mantle for my father in placing a flag and flowers at the grave of a fallen buddy, just as he did from 1944 to 2017.

And to follow Franks note, "Thank you" to those who have served so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have.

Lest we forget...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just spent the morning with Machinist Mate K. Ferrin, LST 969. (Dad...92)
    Always grateful.........
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Maj. Stevens L. Shea, 8th Air Force, 304th Bomb Wing. Cerignola, Italy. 1944. My dad enlisted 12/31/1941.
    Last edited by steve shea; 05-28-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

17 years ago, we scattered the ashes of my father-in-law, Meyer Bornstein (one of the few WWII vets I got to know), up at a very special along the Feather River near Quincy, CA. Yesterday, in what has become a bittersweet Memorial Day tradition, we scattered his wife Marie's ashes in the very same spot. Marie had written a special note to me to read this at her service. It was really hard but I did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    Thanks for sharing that Peter.

There’s a reason they’re called The Greatest Generation.

Yes, a lot of memories of The Greatest Generation. My dad signed-up the morning after The attack on Pearl Harbor. He was from Hermosa Beach and had numerous friends stationed in Hawaii enduring the Pearl Harbor attack. As he told me “the sign-up line stretched around the block.”
    My Godfather was a B-17 pilot and I have his 35 missions diary -each mission in detail; weather, target, bomb load, etc.
    I work to re-pay them and all the others every day.
    God bless them.
    Bill
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

About 15 years ago a History channel show, Battle of Britain mentioned that RAF pilots were often 19 year old kids, who were scarcely briefed before engaging for real. The pilot interviewed said as far as gunnery they would go out and shoot some rounds into the sea for target practice..

Ground crew or maintenance, whatever year this was taken, not sure.

Name:  spitfire.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  46.2 KB
    Last edited by 62S-R-S; 06-05-2018 at 05:38 PM.