Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 906/Carrera 6/911R motors - characteristics

magnesium vs. aluminum case accounts for the bulk of it.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Speaking of gears

After driving Schmidts 2.2S before and after gears (A,E,I,N,S) I finally understood what short gears do for performance, and fun. On the small engines, it just makes a different car. The photo is of the transmission Gordon Ledbetter just finished for my '67S. I bought the last NOS aluminum 901 case Gary Emory had, and put in A,F,J,O,S. This is airport with the exception of first. My fourth is now fifth so she's no longer a highway cruiser, but that's okay.

Kenikh, Since your box already needs an overhaul, I'd consider gearing that thing now, and have some fun while saving up $20K or more for a special motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv
    Kenikh, Since your box already needs an overhaul, I'd consider gearing that thing now, and have some fun while saving up $20K or more for a special motor.
    You read my mind, Tom. The box is going to Bernie in September after the summer season ends, so he told me to plan now on what I want to do. Wanna hear something else that's beautiful? My car is an early enough '69S that it still has an aluminum 901 case, numbers matching, of course.

BTW, are those the gears you ran to Sonoma?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,

That's a good question ...
    If I remember, the Gulf car's documentation is very elaborate without being very specific ...

Sherwood,

I think the car is just under 2100 lbs.

Ed,

I to have had the privilege of driving them both ... and I think the experiences were equal for VERY different reasons....

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Kenik, right on! No, the original 901/02 was, and still is in the car (not for long). Since I will be turning about 4700 at 75MPH and hitting the rev limiter at 115, 8 hour I 5 trips aren't in the plan. I'm going to put more reasonable gearing in my larger displacement hot rod. Between this site: http://www.geocities.com/z_design_st...n_993_bit.html and the gear chart on Rennlist, you will be able to squander hours of your employer's time geeking out on potential gear set ups.

What's the type number on your box?
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    My car is an early enough '69S that it still has an aluminum 901 case
    Kenik I agree that the early cases are cool looking. However, if you are eventually going to put a big motor behind it and you want a limited slip, they present some problems. You have to use the 904 style slip which is very hard to find. You also then have to use the unique drive flanges etc. Anyway, you might want to find a mag case core for your special box, and set the original on the shelf. - Tom
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '92 964

2.0 engines and gears

Hello: The 906 cams are not the way to go on a street car. If you think the S cams are too mild then try some modern grinds that work better than the S cams and are more streetable. I would do shorter gears for sure. I tell everyone that if want more drivable power get the right gears. For every $100 in gears it will cost you $1000's in engine work. I would also use 40 ida's or mfi on a 2.0 street car or better still efi. I used to run a 2.0 engine with twin plugs,906 pistons,911 biral cylinders,aluminum case,large valve heads ported, and modified S cams. This engine would pull away from 906 type engines unless it was a long straight on the track but by then the next corner came up and I was gone. Gears for a street driven car try A,F,N,S,X. These are easy gears to find. I would also build up another gearbox and keep your stock one for a spare. You can never have too many spare tranny's. If you need gears or boxs I have some and also some 2.0 race stuff. My favorite street engine for an early car is a short stroke 3.2 with a short gearbox and 7x15 rear wheels. This is alot of fun to drive and very fast! Thanks Eric

Eric, please send me a note with the 901 gears you have that you'd be willing to part with...
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Eric911S
    Hello: The 906 cams are not the way to go on a street car.
    You actually hit on my next point: I want 906 top end with the faster ramps and subsequent better drivability of a modern cam. I figured the 906 was the perfect baseline; everything newer would be gravy in the drivability department.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

BTW, if you guys want some serious 901 gear crack, try the enclosed and zipped Excel spreadsheet out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389