Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 906/Carrera 6/911R motors - characteristics

Gears, gears, gears or "what do you do on a Friday night?"

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv
    After driving Schmidts 2.2S before and after gears (A,E,I,N,S) I finally understood what short gears do for performance, and fun. On the small engines, it just makes a different car. The photo is of the transmission Gordon Ledbetter just finished for my '67S. I bought the last NOS aluminum 901 case Gary Emory had, and put in A,F,J,O,S. This is airport with the exception of first. My fourth is now fifth so she's no longer a highway cruiser, but that's okay.
    Using the calculator, I am thinking A,E,J,P,W. Perhaps I need to start another thread: "How common are gears for the 901 (by letter)". Oh wait, I just did!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...8579#post88579
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,we have specifics 906/RSR cams(more torque) and 906/R PC's
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    #rennfrog

Gulf T/R

I will try and answer some of the questions on my T/R.

Here are the details according to the orginal paperwork and the orginal mechanic who looked after the car, and neither the engine nor transmission have been opened.

The 2.0 engine has the magnesium crankcase, twin plug heads, 906 camshafts, forged crankshaft and titanium rods ie 906 type engine. It now has 48 IDA webers, though I believe it orginally had 46's. it also has a stronger clutch and lightened flywheel. It is red lined at 8400 but will go beyond as it does not have a rev limiter!! The exhaust is the factory sport three outlet with side one blocked off for street use as I have lost the other cap, officer!!

It drives like two engines, below 4800-5000 it runs similar to a 911S and then almost runs as if a turbo come-in, it just takes off to the redline! It can be kept in the hot zone without a problems. It is no problem to run in town.

The document on the transmission state it had airfield gears but is not specific to the letters. These are ideal for the engine although due the gearing it runs out of steam at 130mph but it fun getting there??!! It also had a 80% limited slip which was giving problems. I had it overhauled and it is now running at 40%.

The weight of the car was 2056lbs in 2000 with a full 100 liter fuel tank and oil.

Part of the great handling is the car is running on 7 and 8 X 15". It has also been corner balanced. The shocks are standard vintage bilstiens.

As has been written in previous threads it fun to drive and is not any problems to drive in town and then open it out. It can get slight plug fouling after a lot of town driving which is quickly cleared with some spirited driving. On my favourite local road(test track) it feels about the same power and out handles my RS LWT.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Thumbs up

Thanks for the clarifications Stephen ...

And we won't even mention how you could charge admission just to hear the whole rev range from the passenger seat...

Cheers mate,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

"...The weight of the car was 2056 lbs in 2000 with a full 100 liter fuel tank and oil. ..."

Stephen,
    Thanks for the vehicle specs.

That works out to be about 1845 lbs. with an empty tank and about 1950 w/half a tank (13 gal.). Nice.

The light chassis, low gearing and relatively high compression ratio (10.3:1) are great equalizers for the top-end strong 901/20 engine. The factory did a good job with packaging, something we should strive for to maintain the correct balance.

Kenik,
    Unless you can replicate the S/T specs, I think you might be less dissapointed with a relatively torquey 2.7 in a primarily street-based car. Unfortunately, Porsche stopped development of the 2.7 before they could insert the various 901/20 bits inside. However, the 2.8 and 3 liter versions yielded 300+ HP and +200 ft.lb torque to indicate what happens with more cubic inches.

Sherwood

Early STs

Howdy all:
    I have been following this post like a giddy school girl... thank you to those who have taken the time and shared.

I finally have a question. I was rereading the tiny section in Paul Frere's "Porsche 911 Story" and wanted any additional info people could give since I have a 67 to play with and this seems a touch more 'period correct'. Here is the section from page 177 (ISBN 1-85260-128-0):

For the 911T and 911S, a racing engine was available, differing only in detail from the full racing engine used in the Carrea-6 sports-racing car. The main differences were that the standard ignition system was retainted and that the valve sizes remained standard, as required by the rules: 42 mm intake (Carrera-6 45 m), exhaust 38 mm (Carerra-6 39 mm). Carrera-6 camshafts were used with the following timing:

Inlet opens/closes 104*btdc/104*atdc
    Exhaust opens/closes 100*btdc/80*atdc

as well as the Carrera-6's Webber 46 IDA 3 carburettors and appropriate larger diameter inlet manifolds, Carrerea-6 pistons with larger valve pockets were fitted and the compression ration was raised to 10.4:1 by machining either the cylinders themselves or the heads. The cylinder head ports were, of course, bored out to match the larger intake manifolds and the racing exhaust system which was part of the modifications. A lightened flywheel and reinforced clutch assembly were also fitted and for the 911T only. Except for sprint racing, an oil cooler was added in the scavenging circuit and located in the right hand front wing; it later became standard in the production 911S models.

I guess the first question is if this 'spec' is accurate as layed out by the author and what was the developed power? Second would be if the titanium rods were used or if the lightest weight steel rods were (540-560g -which is just about the lightest steel rod I can find)? Finally (for the short term ), what are the dimentions of the 'larger C6' intake manifolds? Looking at a 45mm head to my right, the valve bowl is only, maybe, 37 mm so there must be some taper to the port assuming the C6 intake was matched to the intake and was 38 mm.

Thanks in advance,

tadd

48 IDA?? Really? Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by stchilds
    It drives like two engines, below 4800-5000 it runs similar to a 911S and then almost runs as if a turbo come-in, it just takes off to the redline! It can be kept in the hot zone without a problems.
    Did you mean to specify a 200 RPM rev range or is there a typo in there?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenikh,

I think Stephen meant that the car is different from idle to the 4800-5000 range ... then UP from that it takes off 'like a turbo' to it's 8400 (or God know what) limit...

BTW... I found that a 'conservative' 7800 to 8000 was plenty to get the job done in this great little car...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I've never heard of 3-barrel 48 IDA's before & didn't know they existed.

Any pictures Stephen ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105