Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntington Beach

Huntington Beach

No one posted about the annual PCA sponsored HB car show, but there was a diddy on Pelican. And, there was a flap going on thru the email lists that, frankly, I thought was poor form.

Anyway, it went down today very nicely with or w/o the Early S and R Gruppe participation. That's right, w/o, because I saw 2 R Gruppe cars and 4 members total. Now, I can't make a big deal one way or the other right now because I am without car. But the apparent boycott because everyone wouldn't line their little ducks up in a row was obvious. Shame on you guys.

I thought it was a great show as usual. The weather cooperated, too. This was my 3rd, and although last was better by a wee margin p-car wise, the cars were there for all to see and admire. Kudos to those who work so hard at these things.

Isn't the RGruppe about driving and not showing? Once in a while its nice to go to a show, yes, but the Treffen probably got that out of most people's system for a while.

Any time I can bust out for even a few hours I'd rather drive. I certainly don't want to sit around stroking chins looking at killer cars. I want to be behnd the wheel. Which is what a couple of us did that yesterday--250 miles and maybe 20 of it even moderately straight. Its what these cars are all about after all.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

I won't argue against that. I've said the same. But, there was RGruppe presence last year. the RGruppe met to enter the All Euro Swap as a group. They have done that at Ventura, Festival of Speed and others.

No, this time was different. No one responded to JD's call for organization, so he called it off. So, no one comes out on their own? Strange to me. It's a good show every year and raises a good amount of money for charity.

Zeke, My wife Gloria and her good friend Sheila both drove their early 911's on a recon mission to see if a bunch of the usual suspects showed up, and for whatever reason, did not get around to posting that they were going to do so.

Anyway...they saw the same 2 cars and 4 people you did. I don't understand why no one wanted to go...but then again I don't understand a lot of things.

I have gone in the past since it is a 10 min. drive for me, but as I was actually out driving my early 911 at speed.... Buttonwillow to be exact... and a class win made it very worthwhile. I could not attend.

Maybe there was another gathering somewhere? Crystal Cove? heck it was a beautiful weekend....I dunno.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

The Cove

John, there was a large showing at the Cove on Saturday. I got there at 6:30am, and half of the lot was already full. There was a very cool low mile (22K) 1968 911L, and the #2 904 was also there, very unusual car. Roger, Mike, Paul, Don, Terry, Dick, Jerry, Mike Baum in a very rare Abarth Fiat, and many others showed up. A great time was had by all.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Quote Originally Posted by RSupdate
    Zeke, My wife Gloria and her good friend Sheila both drove their early 911's on a recon mission to see if a bunch of the usual suspects showed up, and for whatever reason, did not get around to posting that they were going to do so.

Anyway...they saw the same 2 cars and 4 people you did. I don't understand why no one wanted to go...but then again I don't understand a lot of things.

I have gone in the past since it is a 10 min. drive for me, but as I was actually out driving my early 911 at speed.... Buttonwillow to be exact... and a class win made it very worthwhile. I could not attend.

Maybe there was another gathering somewhere? Crystal Cove? heck it was a beautiful weekend....I dunno.
    Soory I missed G & S. I saw them at the Auto Kennel Swap. They do get aronnd. Very nice, frienly ladies that are true enthusiasts! What a great thing, a wife that enjoys the hobby/sport. Mine gave up, I go alone these days. Maybe some of us are too intnense.

Anyway, the comment I made about the emails was referring to John D.'s caling off of the group entry. I think that had something to do with no one showing.

Eade, not meant as ctriticism, but CC is every Sat. HB is once a year. People asked me if your car was there. I didn't ask back, "Which one?" I knew which one they were after.

JR, congrats on the win!!

Eade, not meant as ctriticism, but CC is every Sat. HB is once a year. People asked me if your car was there. I didn't ask back, "Which one?" I knew which one they were after.

Zeke, I can only get so many hall passes I was at the Rgruppe in Santa Rosa a total of 7 days, had the RSR, as I had to trailer it up, then I went to the Tribute to Le Mans, drove the RSR to that, everyone was asking for the big showing for that, I left at 6:00am, got back at 5:00pm, only about 18 cars showed , then to the Julian Classic on Memorial Day weekend,, a very cool event with with great cars. I had not been to the Cove for about 3 months, and to go to the HB Concours, you have to stay all day, would have had to leave here at 6:00am and not get out until 3:00pm, home around 5:00pm. The cove only required about 4 hours of time. I also had to go on Saturday to Skip Shirley's shop to see my 64 911, (Sunday would not work) that just got back from the paint shop after 3 months being there, making sure the primers, etc., dryed correctly. Paint came out perfect One stage Light Ivory, just the right amount of orange peel. So I spent the whole day on Saturday with car stuff I will be at the Dana Point Show, will you be there? I will bring the 68S softie, should be a fun event.
    A few shots of the 1964 911 ,we were trying to put in the Portland Parade in full Concours, but it looks like it will have to wait until the San Diego Parade in 2007. Restoring a 64 911 is a really BIG project, not a whole bunch of parts to work with. 1 shot of the softie. Take care.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Thanks for the picc of the cars.

Great soft window Targa. I will be doing a 912 version later this summer. Got to crank out a 356 first (nose job). Yes, I will try for Dana Point. I get to at least 1/2 of the events, less on the Orange and SD county R Gruppe stuff. Us Ragamuffin types don't fit in too well at CC.

Not true about the departure time at HB. The first car pulled out as I walked in at 10:30. Many were gone by noon. The only ones that stayed until closing time (how would I know?) were the one that trophied or came on a trailer.

Oh.....I guess that's you, too. Sorry.

Display departure time???

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    Not true about the departure time at HB. The first car pulled out as I walked in at 10:30. Many were gone by noon. The only ones that stayed until closing time (how would I know?) were the one that trophied or came on a trailer.
    Zeke, I went last year with my brother. We parked the Targa and the narrow body '70 next to you.
    We left the show about 12:30. As we were leaving, we were BOTH stopped on the pathway leading to the exit. Someone wearing an event/staff shirt stood in front of my car making me stop. He then DEMANDED to know why I was leaving. He said I could NOT leave until the end of the Show.

I told him the cars are not being judged, they were Display ONLY. He said it did not matter, it was in the application, NO ONE leaves until the end of the Show. I told him I'm leaving, bye.

He then tried to stop my brother from leaving. He said he's leaving bye.

I did relay this event to several people at Cal. Speedway the weekend prior.

I could have been in Display again this year, until 12-1 ish. I remembered that guy stopping me, sure wish I got his name. I did not want the hassle again, so I went to Pomona Swap Meet instead.

The Charity and the show lost out on fees from 2 of the cars. It would have been fun to hang with you, AGAIN.

I have asked about leaving time for a Displayed Car, it has varied. Leave when you want..you must stay until the end.

What was/is the policy/etiquette about leaving a Very well organized Show such as the HB Show?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

After do'n the PCA Santa Barbara breakfast and Auto Books book signing on Saturday I still had all intensions of going to H B show on Sunday like I've done the 2 years before .....

BUT... I also read about the 'staying all day' deal ... and after calling I found out that the 'grass' opened at 6:00 and closed at 8:00 am ... and at 60 miles away, I just ran out of early morning steam...

Maybe next time...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter