Thread: Battery Move

Battery Move

I have a 1970 911 with two batteries. I'm thinking of going to 1 battery in the smugglers box. Any opinions/advice?

Richard

A simple search is all you need on this board Richard...

Try this: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...single+battery

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

if you are driving the car on the street and the occasional ax or de, get yourself a pair of Sonnenschiens and keep them in the original boxes.

The car handes BETTER with them up front.

Like most here, I am familiar with the effort by Porsche to fix high-speed handling by increasing the polar moment of inertia. My 1966 911 has a pair of cast-iron weights in the front bumper for that very purpose.

So when I put a fuel cell in my 1971 911 race car, I went to a single PC680 in the smuggler's box, which is permitted by the rules. And do you know what? My subjective impressions of the car on the race track, at 1.3g in the corners, are that it actually handles better with more fuel in the cell, i.e. more weight forward. I'm actually going to move the battery BACK to the front box as an experiment.

Pundits here will tout the "handling advantage" but there is none in my experience. By reducing the mass up front, the car will have less mass to be accelerated when the car begins to rotate, which theoretically means you can open the radius and make the front end match the tail end. In actual race practice, I don't notice a difference.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks guys, Chuck there is a lot of info out there, on this site and others. John my siuation is much like your track car I have a 100ltr. cell in the car so there is lots of weight up front. I like the Wevo setup and wanted to clean things up around the cell.