Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my 73' Irish Green Targa

Pictures of my 73' Irish Green Targa

Well I'm finally posting the pictures I promised in the "show your ride" thread of my 73' Targa. I was triying to set up a webpage so I could post high res shots but finally gave up on that. So here's some low res shots for you guys.

First a little history on the car.

I picked up this car on ebay one morning as an impulse buy. The car was advertised poorly with bad shots of the car and very little info. Consequently the bidding was low and there was no reserve. I did verify by serial number that the car had an 87' Euro Carrera 3.2 motor in it. So I bid only for the value of the motor since no PPI was being done.

Well I ended up winning the car. When I recieved it it was better than I could have hoped for. Rust was in the headlight buckets and at the bottom of the fenders but the chassis was excellent. Suspension pan had zero rust and records showed that the motor had only 10k miles since being rebuilt. How they overlooked mentioning that in the ad is beyond me.

I thought I would just drive the car as a beater while I restored my 71'S but first I needed to lower it because the ride height was way to high. So begins the slippery slope. Lowering the car ended up being a complete suspension redo. The car already had a nice stock setup with stock front and rear 15mm sways with 19mm / 25mm T bars and Bilstein shocks but while your in there turned into.

front / rear
    7x16 / 9x16 Fuchs
    22mm / 28mm T bars
    Koni / Bilstein Sport shocks
    Tarret 22mm / Carrera 21mm sways bars
    Elephant Poly-bronze / Wevo SPS springplates
    Carrera brakes
    Turbo tie-rods
    Carrera trailing arms

Now I had a good driver and could get back to focusing on the S or so I thought...

One night while at dinner with a friend some drunk college kids decided they would do some remodeling on my car. They backed into the rear quarter panel and then proceeded to vandalize the car. They stole some door trim and tried to steal the hood badge but just ended up bending it. Good thing those little nuts hold. I didn't see this happen but it a safe bet considering they left about half hour before me and they were already out of control in the restaurant.

Well who in there right mind would paint just a quarter panel when the rest of the paint is beat to death on a car right? So I had the car painted Irish Green. It was originally Gold Metallic but had been repainted black so I went with one of my early car favorites Irish Green. I replaced the seals with new ones in the process since this was a glass out paint job. I also did the trim, lenses and headlights.

Well now the car looked great on the outside but what about the inside?

Well I'd gone this far so I might as well finish the damn thing so I got a carpet set from Tony at Autobahn and some seats from Stephan at GTS.

One last touch. A new shifter from Rennshift.

Voila!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Oops... forgot the before picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Thumbs up

WOW!!!! ...

Bobby, you-da-man

Beautiful car...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Bobby drove this car in it's original (as purchased) state down to my house for something, I forget what it was (Bobby is one of the most generous Porsche enthusiasts around and I owe him greatly), and showed me the car. He was pretty exicted, especially about the motor. Not being a big Targa fan, I didn't drool over the deal too much. I am now.

Bobby, great job! You have a vision.

That looks REALLY good. Nice work. -- Curt

Oh HELL yeah!!! That is what it's all about!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thats a Kevin P paint job but I hear you get all the credit for putting it back together. Nice job.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

As the owner of an Irish Green '66 that is currently schwarz, you have given me inspiration. Now if we can just get Kevin to open a shop in NYC!

Great job. And the photos are nicely done also.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Bobby:

Saying one thing led to another is understating the obvious. But what a beautiful result. And I'll bet that you don't miss the 2.4 in the rear with that 3.2 humming away. Gotta be an awesome ride.

Congratulations.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Bobby....for a second I thought you were Larry47...

that car is truly a beauty....Im not a big Targa fan...
    but that color..those wheels, the ride ht.....the seats..perfect, period correct hot rod....even the proper patina steering wheel ..............great work. I dont post much anymore after having sold the T.......but I cant get the early cars out of my blood...when my BMW track days end, Ill be back.

Oh....are those SC/carrera flares or RS?.....geez that car is sexy.