Thread: Rear View Mirrors

Rear View Mirrors

I am appealing to the collective wisdom of the Registry. I have a 67S that is getting fresh original paint. This is a bare metal restoration and I need advice on rear view mirrors. The car came to me with mirrors on both doors. The right side mirror is useless because it cannot be seen by the driver.......so I know it is not correct. Was that mirror ever an option and if so, how can I place it properly?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I can't say with complete certainty about a '67, but according to the 1966 options list, there were two choices in right side mirrors:

9128 Außenspiegel, rechts [Outside rear-view mirror, right] DM 13.50

and

9132 Talbot-Spiegel, Sportausführung, rechts (nicht montiert) DM 22.50
    [Outside rear-view mirror Talbot, right (not mounted)]

Note thet the Talbot mirror was not mounted!

For the sake of completeness, 9132 would probably not have been ordered without:

9131 Talbot-Spiegel, Sportausführung, links (nicht montiert) DM 22.50
    Outside rear-view mirror Talbot, left (not mounted)

For a right-side rear view mirror to be at all useful, it has to be mounted further aft than the left-side mirror (as on many relatively new Porsches). You didn't say whether your car had a Durant or a Talbot mirror. An original owner could easily have put a Talbot in the wrong spot.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Passenger side mirrors.

Hello: I have seen alot of cars with passenger side mirrors mounted wrong. The person mounts the mirror in the same spot as the one on the drivers side when it needs to be mounted to the rear of the car. I personally like just one side mirror on the early cars. I think it looks funny with two and you can't see out those small passenger side early mirrors anyways. That is what I think. Thanks Eric

Do you have the Kardex? If it came with it, I would keep it.

Here's a '69 with two mirrors...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

More reference info...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

1967 options book is the same as 1966, as indicated above...same mirrors and option codes. 1968 shows the same as well...

e

Peter:
    Your post showes a 1968 not a 69. The 68 was the only year with the side marker reflectors in the US.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

I stand corrected. I should've seen that rather than blindly accepting the notes on the photo!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa