Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMAG lauf No.5591

AMAG lauf No.5591

Does anybody know what this means?
    I RECENTLY TOOK A '68 S IN TRADE ON A '73 CARRERA RS.THE '68S IS AT MY MECHANICS BEING SERVICED AND TIDED-UP;IN THE ENGINE CARPARTMENT IS A METAL PLATE WITH ECHED ON IT............AMAG lauf No.5591
    I KNOW THE CAR WAS SWISS BASED ON OTHER DECALS,I will try to up load a photo

AMAG vin tags

Frank, I have also wondered. AMAG was [still is?] the main importer in Switzerland. Some, if not all, of their cars got secondary AMAG VIN tags. I had heard these were applied to special cars but I seem to remember seeing at least one unexceptional Porsche bearing same.

I own an ex-Swiss AMAG Factory Lightwight 930. It has both Porsche vin an AMAG vin tag on the rear engine-body cross panel. The AMAG vin reads: "AMAG TS No 0637-47", and below "AMAG No 12587".

My car also has an engine number featuring a "P" in a triangle on either end of the engine number, instead of the asterick one normally sees.

I got tired of asking about all this as experts merely scratched their heads and wandered off.

I was told the AMAG vins were a big deal by a friend and PO of my Swiss delivered Factory LTWT 930. My car was originally owned by a Swiss gent to did various club events and hillclimbed it. My friend bought it in Monthey in 1985 and immediately imported it to California where my brother did EPA/DOT. Allegedly,it won a European hillcliimb championship but that could be too much beer and too late at night. I was unable to verify this. The particular car was a cheater as it was running a stock spec class and it seems the owner hoped it would go to America and quietly disappear. He was less than anxious to provide documents on its competition history. Porsche reps did feature it as a "significant Porsche" a drive by presentation [with some pretty significant Porsches] at the 1986? Santa Barbara Concours but proved reluctant to document in writing the significance of the car [I suspect it has to do with the out of spec car being sold as a standard vehicle. Remember the big fuss about the 959s when they tried to sneak them into the USA throught Holbarts?]. Either way, it makes the car enjoyable and I almost prefer the questionable history to having everything verified.... but I am not a "money guy". Funny aside is when my friend owned it I pestered him to document the history. When I bought it from him I worked incredibly hard hours and couldn't be bothered. Now that I have time, I don't care enough.

I too would enjoy hearing from anyone with definitive information on this subject [as well as my particular engine number stamping]. Meanwhile, Frank, you may have "something" with that 911, if only to tell tall tales over drinks on some late winter night!
    John Rice

Frank,

Here is the photo of the number plate attached to the car. I sure have never seen a plate like this before. Sorry for the small size but I had to resize it down pretty radically to get it to upload. I also had trouble because it is a .BMP file.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

thanks

brian,thanks for the photo posting

john,thanks for the info,looks like I have some work to do researhing it's history;do you know how to get intouch with AMAG IN SWITZERLAND

Amag

From an old directory

Schinznach-Bad
    AMAG
    Automobil-und Motoren AG
    Aarauerstr.
    tel (056) 43 01 01
    telex 52 960

Amag

AMAG still is the importer in Switzerland and I think they just had their own number attached to each car they sold (in order to justfy the higher sales price).
    frank, tell me what you want to know exactly and i call them up tomorrow morning.
    ITA:FR 1:1, 120min played ...........

martin
    -------------------
    Martin Eichin
    1970 911 E 2.3 LTR + 2.4 LTR
    1987 911 Carrera 115'KM
    1995 E 420 115'KM
    R-Gruppe #350
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thanks for your help

martin,just want to find out is there anything signifiant about this #
    AMAG Lauf No.5591

thanks martin

My AMAG plate [79 930 ltwt]

I am attempting to post this image of my vin plate. Considerably different than Frank's. Take into consideration that it is a later car.
    FYI
    John Rice

AMAG vin tag- 2nd try

Another - last - try
    JR
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gents.

I think that Marco Marinello (Elevenparts - CH) can tell you exact what "AMAG Lauf" means.

What I * think * it's, is that Swiss Porsche's were assembled in CH to avoid heavy CH tax duties. Therefor did Porsche supply the car in parts and AMAG (indeed the importer for Swiss) put them together. At least this is how it went in the 50's w/ the 356.

Regards,

Richard