Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitudes & Postings

Attitudes & Postings

I am a proud member of this forum and am glad to have had some great advice from fellow board members. I only hope to pass along the same. It seems quite evidently that there is some of us that are getting wound up about comments that are made. This forum is a priceless gateway to keeping our cars top notch or to getting them there. I could not guess how much $$ or agrevation has been saved by people adding personal experiences or advice/opinions in response to some posts.
    There are those of us that take pot shots or try to get people fired up. It is going to happen and I am sure alot of these comments are usually just taken out of context or meant as fun. Then there are some that are meant intentionally. I hope that we can find the composure to reread a statement BEFORE it is posted and to be mature about this.
    For those who have not joined take a moment and think how much you have learned or been entertained by what is offered here. Maybe you have been lurking for awhile and not posted. Try getting involved. Even if it is a "nice car" post. I hope you find the same commoradery that I have found.
    The reputation that is being portrayed lately is one of negativity and of a roasting nature. People are actually affraid of posting to keep from getting flamed about their car or parts or a question they have. This is a shame. The people that make up this great bunch is awe strickening when you think of it. Some have been involved from before I was born in '67. For some this is their first Porsche whether a rust bucket or not. I remember being a kid and dreaming of owning one. Now I have too many and call them home wreckers. I may be single sooner than later but I WILL have a smile on my face!
    So before you hit that button please think that the people that read these posts may be from a different culture all together and may take offense to your comments.
    I hope that our moderators don't get sick of babysitting us and keep on doing the great job that they are doing. Because if this forum was nonexistant then I may have to watch a rerun of "Sex and the City" with my wife. I'd rather have a root canal!
    Best to all,
    Rick Uhlman
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Thumbs up Very well stated!

Rick,

Very well stated! I couldn't agree with you more!

All the best!

Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27
    Early 911S Registry #197 Since 1999

Well,
    I don't have much to add to this, but I know one thing: there are a few guys who I like and respect alot who have quietly (with no expletives or fanfare) left this board. And it seems to be a harbinger of things to come.
    I noted for example that GeorgeK (one of the nicest guys I have met here) moved on last Spring. In curiousity, I pulled up his last posting on the SReg. It happened to be the one highlighting the ridiculous pricing of an early factory key fob. In that thread he stated which some of us probably also thought(I know I did). That early 911's have become so popular that it has now been infiltrated with big money and rare parts hustlers, that it had taken all the fun out of it for him, and made the price of entrance too rich for him to continue to participate.
    I also noticed recently that PWD72S, a guy with one of the nicest original longhoods in existence, no longer posts here. In a thread on the Pelican board I recently saw that he posted a message indicating his disappointment in the SReg due to the negative nature of the SReg group and how he no longer comes here.
    I am sure there are more. These are just the ones I noticed.

Maybe this is the natural course of events and only a sign that the early 911 collector car universe has finally come unto its own. I would hate to think that the natural progression of the long hood crowd is to become a bunch of pompous well-to-do Angebers (german word for show-offs) like the early Ferrari crowd.
    But maybe it also has something to do with the way some of the people here have conducted themselves. I would hate to lose more people of this caliber due to comments made by people of a lesser caliber: after all, this board is only as good as the collective quality of its members.

I don't post alot on this forum for these reasons no one wants to be argued with over petty things these are just cars after all I love my 911's and sometimes I would like to ask more guestions but you wander if someone will jump down your throat for not using the search option.

Just the thoughts of low poster

Very well SAID...

BRAVO....BRAVO....( the crowd cheers !!)
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

I'm new to this board, but not new to Porsche boards in general. One board in particular has, at times, frustrated me with the negative postings. As a long time lurker and new member, I appreciate any attempt to keep this board a welcoming place to discuss our cars. I commit to the cause of keeping this forum a great resource for all to enjoy and educate.
    Elvis has left the building.

Nicely put everyone. People will come and go. Lets not paint more into this than is really happening. This is one of the most even-keeled and valuable boards in existance. If yo want to improve your perspective, look up a Honda board and read that for a while - we will look like geniuses and saints in comparison! LOL
    I know George and I have spoken in detail about the hobby and he is a bit disenchanted of how expensive it has become. He is also working a lot and living away from home for the past year or more, so Im sure that has affected his presence here.
    I can think of two individuals, one who was mentioned by someone else, who have left that were the root cause for much of the bickering that we were experiencing earlier in the year. If you go back through thier comments prior to thier departure, you will find that they were involved in most of the antagonistic threads at the time. At some time you have to step back and examine the common denominator. You wonder if they ever ask themselves "Is everyone else on this board a jerk......or could it just be me?"
    This is a very specialized board and lets face it, most of us are very passionate about our hobby. This often leads to small skirmishes. Its a fact of life. Anyone who would quit posting becaus someone said something that offended them might want to step back and get a more realistic angle on things. We often have to deal with jerks during our commute to work, jerks at work, and probably everywhere else we go. If someone has time and energy to get THAT UPSET about a silly message board posting, then they must be living a charmed life!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by 911quest
    I don't post alot on this forum for these reasons no one wants to be argued with over petty things these are just cars after all I love my 911's and sometimes I would like to ask more guestions but you wander if someone will jump down your throat for not using the search option.

Just the thoughts of low poster
    I maybe using my selective memory function on this, but I don't think this happens around here much at all. I would encourage you to ask away, but as you said the 'search button' is very helpful. We lost a ton of information awhile back when the site was hacked and lost. So we have been building that knowledge base all over again since then.

My .02 is there are two sides to the absence of PWD. I will leave it at that. Lets have fun and not take ourselves and our hobby too seriously.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I agree, this supposed to be fun, let's not take our cars or ourselves too seriously.
    Phil

Now this is what I call entertainment. I just wanna take this humorous moment to thank everyone for all their advice and help. Group hug, now where were we?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330