Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitudes & Postings

As a reminder, if there is a member you find irritating, or offensive, rather than taking the bait, put them on your ignore list. Simply click the members user name (upper left of their post), Select, "place Username on Ignore list' and click on that link.
    Then you are asked to confirm. No sense getting ones blood pressure up when you can kick them out of your own personal cyberspace.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Gburner
    The S reg is the best resource for keeping old 911s in factory like condition.
    I rarely post as few owners here choose to discuss performance handling or driving.

Perhaps as the cars become more valuable owners nurse them to protect their investments.
    An argument can be made against performance driving your early 911 due to the fact that they are not making them anymore.

Threads relating to improved handling take a back seat to queries on the correct decal for an engine compartment.

I do enjoy the posts of historically significant 911s and drivers sprinkled through this bbs.
    Why then is there so little interest to attend a DE and developing car control skills while experiencing your 911 on the edge as in all our admired photos?
    Can the 911 can be top notch sports car when its driver has limited or no performance driving experience?

This won’t make me popular with the weekend power parkers, but seeing early 911s reduced to car show fodder falls well short of the car’s capabilities. In some cases perhaps not the driver's?

Humph, when I first read this thread, I would have guessed that it had absolutely nothing to do with people not driving thier cars in organized or competitive driving events. Like so many other threads in the past, I guess I misunderstood this one too.......
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner
    I rarely post as few owners here choose to discuss performance handling or driving....Threads relating to improved handling take a back seat to queries on the correct decal for an engine compartment.
    ...Why then is there so little interest to attend a DE and developing car control skills while experiencing your 911 on the edge as in all our admired photos?
    I'd vote for a portion of this board to have a forum related to this subject. I think it would be a good addition. It's good to note that participating in a concours d'elegance is just as much a part of Porschedom as the many driving activities available. I've done both and they both deserve a place on this bbs.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Humph, when I first read this thread, I would have guessed that it had absolutely nothing to do with people not driving thier cars in organized or competitive driving events. Like so many other threads in the past, I guess I misunderstood this one too.......
    CP’s reply in it self is what many on this thread detest.
    It is disingenuous and sarcastic.

Thank you 72 targa, agree in the Porschedom there is room for both.

Yup..very true. It would be a nice addition to have a "room" for track trash talk. This BB seems to be bifircated by Early S boyz & Rgruppe Boyz. There's plenty here that would participate especially "Red Rooster"..
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Ahh, but Mike you miss the point. As I have stated so many times in the past, I too enjoy participating in peformance events. (although time and money prevent me from doing so to the level you do)

I guess I should apologize for being sarcastic in my response to your equally disingenuous post. I will try to be more direct and simply say that it is my personal opinion that many people on this thread equally detest people who twist each thread they participate into a commentary minimizing those who do not agree with thier views of Porsche ownership. Although I do recognize the fun to be had in competitive driving in a controlled situation, I do not feel the need to cram it down everyone elses throats.

How about we agree on this - I will not use sarcasim in my responses to you ever again(didnt you already put me on your ignore list anyway?) and you can quit telling other board members how to use thier cars. The result should be that we will make this place a more friendly arena for discussion! Deal? So that we dont further derail this thread, you can feel free to PM me.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Gburner
    No one is forcing you to discuss 911 performance upgrades or shared experiences with drivers interested in self improvement.
    Don’t git yerself all wrapped around the axle.

Nicely put everyone. People will come and go. Lets not paint more into this than is really happening. This is one of the most even-keeled and valuable boards in existance. If yo want to improve your perspective, look up a Honda board and read that for a while - we will look like geniuses and saints in comparison! LOL
    I know George and I have spoken in detail about the hobby and he is a bit disenchanted of how expensive it has become. He is also working a lot and living away from home for the past year or more, so Im sure that has affected his presence here.
    I can think of two individuals, one who was mentioned by someone else, who have left that were the root cause for much of the bickering that we were experiencing earlier in the year. If you go back through thier comments prior to thier departure, you will find that they were involved in most of the antagonistic threads at the time. At some time you have to step back and examine the common denominator. You wonder if they ever ask themselves "Is everyone else on this board a jerk......or could it just be me?"
    This is a very specialized board and lets face it, most of us are very passionate about our hobby. This often leads to small skirmishes. Its a fact of life. Anyone who would quit posting becaus someone said something that offended them might want to step back and get a more realistic angle on things. We often have to deal with jerks during our commute to work, jerks at work, and probably everywhere else we go. If someone has time and energy to get THAT UPSET about a silly message board posting, then they must be living a charmed life!
    Ahh, but Mike you miss the point. As I have stated so many times in the past, I too enjoy participating in peformance events. (although time and money prevent me from doing so to the level you do)

I guess I should apologize for being sarcastic in my response to your equally disingenuous post. I will try to be more direct and simply say that it is my personal opinion that many people on this thread equally detest people who twist each thread they participate into a commentary minimizing those who do not agree with thier views of Porsche ownership. Although I do recognize the fun to be had in competitive driving in a controlled situation, I do not feel the need to cram it down everyone elses throats.

How about we agree on this - I will not use sarcasim in my responses to you ever again(didnt you already put me on your ignore list anyway?) and you can quit telling other board members how to use thier cars. The result should be that we will make this place a more friendly arena for discussion! Deal? So that we dont further derail this thread, you can feel free to PM me.

I don't recall ever seeing a 'track racing' thread on this board?? I do recall a few threads about street events that somehow devolved into heated debates about the superiority of track driving/drivers (but never vice-versa ). I don't think there is anyone here who would object to track-related threads right here in General Info. I would find them interesting to read for sure and hopefully would learn a thing or two, or maybe even develop an interest - but I wouldn't personally participate in the threads since my interest there is currently limited.

Compared to other boards I am a member of this place is Barney-esque. Nice group of guys from what I have seen so far, but there are always some bad apples who try to ruin it. Just have to let them be and move on. Too much good here to let it go to waste.

Group hug time?