Thread: HELP!!15 X 8 steel wheels date stamp 8-72 Firestone

HELP!!15 X 8 steel wheels date stamp 8-72 Firestone

I bought these off Pelican, had no idea what they were, I just thought they sounded neat. I was expecting a home made set of welded wheels, what I got was a perfectly welded set of Lemmerz 15 X 5.5 with a date stamp of 11-67, that measured 8" wide, with the strangest offset ive ever seen. Under a light coat of rust, I found this stamp, 15 X 8 JJ SH 8-72, then, facing the opposite direction, FIRESTONE *EWC USA. The stamping is on the weld, which BTW is perfect, not home made. What are these? I will try to post pictures-thanks-Bill

Hello: I think they are made up steel wheels. You can still have these made up if you want. The oval track guys use steel wheels and they are made up of a steel rim with whatever center section. They were popular on 914's and narrow bodied cars. You could get the offset you wanted. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

here is a picture, i hope

Here is a link to pelican, where I could post a picture. TIA-Bill
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=304282

there seems to have beel quite a bit of effort in creating these, there is a mimimal amount of weight added to the wheel for ballance, with only 4, 1/8 ounce weights added, there is a grease pencil marking on the inside of each with RR and LR, and a date that I cannot make out. The outside of the rim is nearly equal to the inside...

Eric was right on the money. These were made by a division of Firestone, called Electric Wheel Company. The EWC was later merged with Lemmerz of germany, the company is now Titan, still in the steel wheel business. Now I just need to find out what they fit?

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
  2. WTB: Two (2) 4.5x15 Chrome disc brake wheels 8/65 date stamp
    By ptrsbtrs in forum For Sale/Wanted: Other Porsche Cars and Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM
  3. WTB FOUR 6x15 FUCHS WHEELS WITH DATE STAMP 3/73
    By mihalkog in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  4. WTB; Chrome steel wheels date 65. WTB