Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoration or replacement of fuse box??

Dang...this is a deep discussion. Good points on both sides, especially considering these jumpers on the backside. I was pondering the same thing for the project car but may refurbish the original now...hehe.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Oh those dang jumpers..... I fergot bout them..... dang. I'll need to reconsider.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Here is a picture of the back of one of the 8 pin oem fuse blocks...the red pointer shows the buss I mentioned...don't get excited as this is not the 69' one but a later one...I have an identical one sitting on top of it so you can see the part number and pins....sorry no picture of the back of the 69' one as it is on the car...
    I think you could modify this one to work...just keeping in mind the right resistant and such....help here you Electrical Engrs...

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 304065
    Modern fuse blocks make the Porsche G_ds angry. Guys who buy a 69E don't do it because the car is the pinnacle of electrical technology, they do it because of originality.

Sherwood is giving you the right advice: ANY electrical diagnosis, amateur or professional, that you undertake from the moment of replacement on, is going to take twice as long because you will have to first figure out what wires are supposed to go where. It's not as easy as it seems to go to modern fuse blocks, insofar as johnhora points out, correctly, that the original fuse blocks have jumpers on the back that connect, for example, the hot side of fuse 1 and 2 on fuse block II for the high beams. So you will have to spend a lot of time with the original wiring diagram figuring out what jumpers need to go where in order to make things work.

And if you had that kind of time, why wouldn't you use it fixing the original block?
    Althought I have no personal fear of "home brew enguneering", I tend to agree with John. Why mess around with a retrofit that will cost you more money and waste your time. Get a used one (most likely less than $25.00) and replace it with the correct part. Fits in the same space, your existing wires are the correct length, etc...

FWIW, my first fuse box lasted 30+ years with the "icky" bullet fuses and only failed due to some ham fisted effort on my part . If I get another 30 years with the replacement box, I have trouble seeing how an ATO style box is an "improvement".

My $0.02.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

It would be convenient if someone had a kit to convert the current fuse box from DIN bullet-type to ATO-type fuses.

Sherwood

Don't forget this sticker as part of the kit
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen