Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PPI says NEW FRONT PAN NEEDED!

The best way to ID heads would be to pull off exhaust or intake manifold and measure port size. It may be cheaper to put car on chassis dyno than any of the "inspection" options. If have driven lots of 911's you can tell just by seat of the pants. If motor pulls hard below 3.5K probably has small port heads. That is not necessarily a bad thing, you should drive car and see if you like it.
    Phil

Well....???

berrettafan,

What happened to this deal ? I know you were seeking a member to look at the car. Did you buy this car ?
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Sorry for the lack of updates; hasn't been much to report of late.

However i did speak with a very helpful board member who is going to look at the car for me as soon as i can coordinate a time with the seller.

I have to say i am amazed at the willingness to help here and am so appreciative! As i said to Scott (my Ga. 'helper') i would not be venturing in to 911 ownership but for the existence of boards like this one and Pelican. I gotta say i hope i end up with the car just so i can meet Scott and others in the Atlanta area, what a nice group!

the seller has been very patient and understands that between his busy schedule (out of town a LOT) and my trying to coordinate a volunteer it has been tough.

Erik
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Aaron, why do you feel $4000 for a correct front pan replacement is more proper when most seem to think $2000 is good? I'm not asking to anger anyone, I'm asking because I'd truly like to know (as you know I'm toying around with a pan replacement on a '72 myself). Does it take an extraordinary amount of time fussing around with the Cellette to get it right?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

$4k....wow

I almost never see a front pan that was done the way I would want it done. It's usually a "short" pan that is lap welded with no flanging done and the incorrect undercoating is used.

Also......I got a pan for my '73 (rally car), we welded it in and the front A-arm mounts aren't in the right spot. So now it's on the Celette.....we'll drill the spot welds to make it right.

As far as the $4K........it's just a guess but that's about what I would charge to feel warm, fuzzy and proud.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Get a written, guaranteed est. from a good shop (if you can) - then show it to the owner of the car.

IF he won't guarantee it, then have him write down that it is not in big letters & show that to the current owner. Point out that you will bear the risk and ask if he can gie the est. amt. off + a bit more.

THANK YOU SCOTT!

After further review by a helpful board member I am going ahead with the purchase!

Plans are for an immediate interior remodel. Current idea is GTS Nurburgring seats, Nardi Classico wheel (leather version) and RSR door panels (i think maybe the RSA panels look a bit too modern but not entirely sure just yet).

Will also be giving serious thought to a mid rise scissor lift.

Tools to be purchased right away include valve adjustment feeler guage, quality torque wrench, flex head ratchet extension, carb adjustment tools (syncro thingy but not sure which as two are commonly advertised).

Winter projects to include the aformentioned interior refit, routine maintenance items such as valve adjustment, oil change, possible new brake lines, flush brake system, new pads, new bushings throughout suspension (possibly other suspension upgrades as i would like to autocross in the spring), fire extinguisher mount, possible period correct radio w/ ipod interface, etc.

Really looking forward to this!
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

LOL...another 911 nut bitten with the resto bug. I like it.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330