Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pics of RS-flared early cars with stock decklid?

Here's a silver longhood with stock decklid.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

Quote Originally Posted by Kaefer
    Here's a silver longhood with stock decklid.
    This is especially applicable in Noah's case, because I believe this car was an SC (possible a Carrera) that someone backdated. It was posted on ddk I believe. Note the low rear tail pipe a la short hood. It did come out stunning.

Noah, after the recent Ruf bumpers, why the change of heart? Not that I'm against it, the longhood is a great look.

Quote Originally Posted by klaucke
    Noah, after the recent Ruf bumpers, why the change of heart? Not that I'm against it, the longhood is a great look.
    I guess it's time to tell my inspiring story of coming home to my roots. (This might be long and very boring for some...)

My first 911 was actually a 912 -- a 1968 model that had a leaky, smoky 2.2 911 engine very poorly installed in it. The floats in the Zenith carbs were disintegrating and it never ran very well, except at WOT, which was fine with me. You could poke a screwdriver through pretty much any part of the rockers and floors, and the 901 gearbox was as sloppy as they come. I bought it for a few thousand bucks, with money I'd saved from buying and selling a couple of cars in high school, and my dad kicked in a few bucks too. So at age 18, ten years ago, I had a sort of dilapidated version of my dream car. That's when I met Rick Cabell, and I worked at his shop part-time through college to learn how to work on my car. Rick and I are still close friends.

I loved that carbureted 911, even though it broke down a lot and I had no idea how to fix it. The sounds and smells were perfect. But I was too young to appreciate it, and was pulled in the direction of the newer cars and their more modern styling. I sold the 1968 911 and took up with later 911's: a 1976 911S that I spent four years restoring (with Rick's help), and then a 1977 Carrera 3.0 that I wrecked in California and rebodied into the car I have today. I discovered the joys of the track, and all my work on my car over the past couple of years has been geared toward that. 930 brakes, Sander torsion bars, seats and harnesses, the whole ensemble.

Thus the Ruf bumpers. But the minute I looked at my car with those bumpers on, I realized that they're just not for me. Too 80's, too flashy, too modern, too much. My discomfort with them forced me to think about what originally attracted me to the marque. My flirtation with one end of the spectrum caused the embrace of the other end. I realized that I need something old and classy and timeless, a corduroy sport coat with leather patches on the elbows rather than the latest trend.

For my purposes -- which are sports purposes -- it doesn't make sense to buy a longhood and then carry out all the necessary track modifications. My car already has seats, harnesses, roll bar, brakes, suspension, and all those other little things that make a car fun and reliable on the track. The smartest way to get where I want is to make my current car look ten years younger. Call it plastic surgery.

Here's my Albert Blue 72E with flares and 8" rears.
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah
    My flirtation with one end of the spectrum caused the embrace of the other end.
    umm.... is there something you want to share with us noah?

Quote Originally Posted by }{arlequin
    umm.... is there something you want to share with us noah?
    Hey now...can't a guy wax nostalgic once in a while?

are you gonna go w/ rubber latches or the real deal? i'm considering doing the "swappable duck" thing too but the re-aligning of the latch is sorta prohibitive

Quote Originally Posted by }{arlequin
    are you gonna go w/ rubber latches or the real deal? i'm considering doing the "swappable duck" thing too but the re-aligning of the latch is sorta prohibitive
    I've been thinking about this too. I'll probably run without a tail, unless setting up the latch is easier than I remember. From personal experience, fitting a decklid or tail, on the spectrum of enjoyable projects, lies somewhere between getting a couple of fingers caught in the intake fan and being repeatedly shocked by the MSD ignition box.

But maybe those rubber latches are the ticket...

My '73S. SCCA Regional race at Sears Point in the 1980's...No tail...in the rain.