Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: R Gruppe Hijack

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic
    ...and I tend to agree with Curt if anybody is keeping score at home.
    For those at home... Score another one. I agree with Curt's interpretation, the people come first
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

you guys are not very welcoming are you? i would think it would be a source of flattery that people aspire to be a part of such a circle, even if they missed the target w/ the car build. wheels not being period correct? are you kidding???? after all a change of those is only a jackstand away ...and there definitely have been sightings of rgruppe cars on fikses- the quintessential period-correct wheel.... in addition, 17" wheels must seem like DUBS to factory race engineers of that era as well... maybe those 993 cups are just interim "fitment test" wheels while the car is being completed? maybe w/o an rgruppe number poor chap has been bumped to the bottom of the lindsey waitlist b/c another member bent his and needs a quickie replacement of his period correct vintage-sized dubs

seems unfair to condemn the guy w/o having all the info.

Harlequin,
    Who are these "you guys" that you refer to? Upon reading back through the posts, the only the R Gruppe member who seems to have any problem with the use of the moniker was the original poster....albeit mentioned only from the angle to initiate discussion.
    I dont see any condemnation at all.

The fact remains that Creator8 has a point. This is a person who is not in the RGruppe advertizing a car which is not an RGruppe styled car as an RGruppe car. Big rear flares and wide tires does not an RGruppe car make.

Is it a big deal? Nah. Technically it is false advertizing, but its not like he is saying it is a all original "one-owner". On Ebay, this sort of thing is called "keyword spamming" - using a unrelated term in your listing to attract more hits.

In response to your point "i would think it would be a source of flattery that people aspire to be a part of such a circle, even if they missed the target w/ the car build." We dont know if he is aspiring or not. If one is a pessimist he would simply assume that the advertiser was simply using a popular term to attract potential buyers......certainly not flattering.

Either way, its not a big deal - I dont think the decision to buy a good car is ever based on if it is R Gruppe or not.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by }{arlequin
    seems unfair to condemn the guy w/o having all the info.
    But its clear this isn't an R Gruppe car or an R Gruppe member--that's all the info needed I think. He advertised it as such on a board where the largest concentration of members hang. Pretty brave, I'd say! If he'd advertised it as "Project Car: R Gruppe Style/Potential" or some such then there would have been some truth in advertising.

In my opinion, from going to meets, seeing many R Gruppe members' cars and from www.rgruppe.org I think its clear there is a style and definition, though fairly wide and loose, and that, as I've already said, this car is far from, again for so many reasons.

As far as being welcoming, I think you'll find R Gruppsters are more than welcoming. They invited me to join!

As I said before, I just wanted to put the above questions out there for a discussion spurred by this particular car's for sale posting.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Hmmm, thinking back on this and due to circumstances beyond my control .... I've attended R Gruppe events in a Chevy Astro rental van, a Cayenne, a BMW M3, a VW Jetta, and a Dodge Durango towing a crippled 911 I didn't really notice any difference in the fun factor - still got to hang out in the parking lot, kick tires and drink beers with my buddies which is always the highlight of the weekend anyway. What was the question again?

Yeah, but that is only because you are the Chaptermeister. For anyone else, the diesel Jetta would have been the final straw!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Harlequin, I put a wink after the cup wheels statement. Personally I could care less what he has since R Gruppe cars sport all sorts of wheels, even stealies. It was meant only as a cute comment not a slam. Please don't take it as an eliteist, exclusive, holier-than tho comment. Who knows, if a member of this board, or some other, buys the car and massages it a bit, it may just turn out to be 'the Caddilac' of R Gruppe type cars.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Yeah, but that is only because you are the Chaptermeister. For anyone else, the diesel Jetta would have been the final straw!
    Hey, I was going to "R Gruppe" a BMW CS because now I'm a member I can!! Stripped interior, roll bar, GTS Rallye buckets, Momo Prototipo, widened steelies w/ 50s, lowered 3 inches, flat black rattle can paint. 80s M Spec 3.5! Whaddayathink? Sound like anything you know?
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Rick --it sure is funny how sarcasam and careful prodding can only sound like hatred. All we have is these tasteful smiles to portray our "tonal voice". All in good fun.

I think the point is not what the car looks like but more so the description.

}{arlequin--"wheels not being period correct? are you kidding????" --In a technical aspect-no they belong on a 993. but with that special smile I can that you are kidding . I have done worse....(than cup wheels).

He must have his Fuchs out for polishing.....
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

R Gruppe ... often immitated, NEVER duplicated.

Curt (both of 'em) hit it right on the head. BTW, where's Ed and his blender?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687