Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping Undercoating Need Ideas Please

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

Stripping Undercoating Need Ideas Please

I have dropped my engine and tranny out of my 67. I have completely pressure washed the underside and now getting ready to strip the tranny, engine bay and underside. What are you guys using? Before I paint I want to detail all these other areas first. The picture is the before picture of pressure washing. Regards, Freddie
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

So many questions, so few answers....

stripping options

I stripped the underside of my '67 last Spring. I found that a sharpened stiff bladed putty knife worked best. Take no more than a 1/2 to 3/4 inch swipe at a time and it actually goes much faster than when trying to take full/larger swipes. The undercoating on mine was fairly brittle and came off relatively fast. Others have used torches and scrapper to do the job. I found out yesterday that my heatgun and scraper peel the undercoat off my gas tank quite nicely. 3M also makes a "bristle disc" is three grades. They are pricey but, do a nice job polishing surfaces that have a little stuborn residue. The mildest grit will polish w/o eating away the metal.

Roll up your sleeves, get yourself a good sharp blade and have at it a bit at a time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Sacto, a torch and scraper is what the experts are suggesting. I will start on this tomorrow and finish it up with some sand blasting to clean the metal. Should be fun. Regards, Freddie
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Question

Are you epoxy priming before re application of the Wurth SKS or just putting it over the bare metal as per the factory?

a torch and scraper is what the experts are suggesting
    .. you can use a paint strip gun as well.

Richard

For what it's Wurth!

I have been stripping my 73 for the last 2 months (off and on). It's now down to bare metal, and metal prep and etcher to keep from flash rusting. What I have found is, a good heat gun set on high. The1000 degree+ type.A good quality putty knife, the cheep ones loose thier temper. Start at the bottom of the pannel and work up in sections, the heat transfer will warm the schutz quicker this way. Done right it will get the undercoat and primer in one pass. Any undercoat or primer residue that is left in nooks and seams can be softened and removed with aircraft paint stripper and a brush or the "Scrapper". And do both processes in a well ventalated area, it gets smokey and stinky! Good luck and enjoy the fun!
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Snap-on makes an air tool that strippes undercaoting right off. You could all of the bottom of the car is a day easy.
    72T RS
    88 Carrera

Hi

When you heat the underside with a high temperature heat gun, to remove the Wurth undercoating, what happens to the original PVC "asphalt" like coating on the floors inside the car?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Great suggestions. After sand blasting I will treat the metal using metal cleaner and etching. I will then use a urathane primer to protect the metal. I will follow up with Wurth applying it very lightly since I do not want the factory thick look.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

It dose not seem to hurt the sound padding on the inside. From what I found, you only heat the Shutz warm enough to soften it.It will skim off. It dose not take long to get the hang of it. Nooks and crannies are a bear. Az you are right the Snap-on heat gun is the Bomb along with the Blue-point putty knife, and alota BEER: . Also about every five or ten minutes rember to put the edge back on the knife. Flip it over and rub it on the concreat, it dose make a diffrence. Agin have fun !
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress