Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripping Undercoating Need Ideas Please

More than Original
    A sharp chisel works the best. Buy a cheap set and get 1" and 1/4" to get all it off; make sure to keep it sharp with a file. The air tool works great but makes a mess, best done outdside on a lift.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    Got done today guys. The process is tedious indeed. I used the torch and scraper method with my full face mask to keep the fumes away...that stuff is very nasty. I used the sand blaster to get to those hard to reach areas. I treated the metal and sprayed two coats of Urathane primer. It is now ready for a top coat. Oh! the cold beers are a must. Cheers.
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

It doesn't get any easier than this tool. "The Eraser".

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=06.0151.jpg

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    It doesn't get any easier than this tool. "The Eraser".

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=06.0151.jpg

Tom
    I agree !!!!
    http://porsche-exclusives.conceptfor...pic.forum?t=56
    #rennfrog

Talk about the perfect job for a rotissiere huh?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Any good suggestions on top finishes for the engine bay? I don't care for the OEM thick look. I'm looking for something with texture in black. I have gone through too much work not to make look cherry.

Paul, you are so right, it's time to make one.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Quote Originally Posted by WCB4
    It dose not seem to hurt the sound padding on the inside. From what I found, you only heat the Shutz warm enough to soften it.It will skim off. It dose not take long to get the hang of it. Nooks and crannies are a bear. Az you are right the Snap-on heat gun is the Bomb along with the Blue-point putty knife, and alota BEER: . Also about every five or ten minutes rember to put the edge back on the knife. Flip it over and rub it on the concreat, it dose make a diffrence. Agin have fun !
    Bill
    No I'm talking about a Snap-On air tool that literally rips the undercoating off of the car but does not harm the metal.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
    72T RS
    88 Carrera

Tom, you are right about Snap-on on thier markup. I too got into a box at 50% it's large. I will look into both tools. I prefer Snap-on. Let's see what the vendor (Rafael) can do for me on this tool. Even though the torch and scraper do work, I don't think it's the most safest way to work. Thanks for the imput Tom. Cheers!
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Eraser Type Tool

I have seen this type of air tool sell under genaric names for as little as $100.00. I use Snap-on and Blue-point because the quality is good tools. The salesman will always work for you both on price and warranty problems. And he comes around once a week and will take care of any broken tools. And the best of all is he such a big truck packed full of stuff just waiting to fall into the toolbox

I used the heat gut type stripping because it kept the dust down in the garage. And since I have a vent fan the smoke was not a big deal. I used the air tool to do the seams. And the paint stripper to get in those hard to get places. Everybody has ther unique way of getting the job done. I cant wiat to get the car over to the body shop and get rolling on the rust replacment!
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress