Thread: How do I get the correct finish on my 71' gas tank??

How do I get the correct finish on my 71' gas tank??

I know that the original color was a darkish grey color, but when I strip the tank to bare metal, how do I get my tank back to factory finish? Where can I buy the correct grey rubberish finish? I think Wurth is what Porsche used, but I have been searching their website and cant seem to find it as I dont know what category this material is under. Help is needed!

I believe you're looking for the Wurth Stone guard that is sprayed with the Wurth spray gun. Here's the wurth site you need http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=06.0510.jpg Good luck Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

As Allan said, it’s the SKS stoneguard that was used originally. I have read a lot of treads about it, and shot with the right gun, right pressure and distance you can replicate the original texture. I remember a tread written by "milt" aka "Zeke" on pelican about how he succeeded in this.

My selves, I could not get this in Norway because the importer (Wurth Norway) had discontinued importing it because it will not tolerate below freezing storage. That was what the importer told, sounds strange because most warehouses is heated? I ended up using a similar Swedish product in a can, and managed to replicate the look. This was just in a small area inside the trunk.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Hi,

In case it helps here is something I have posted on another web site.
    The covering is actually a sealer spray and not stone chip or similar, its more of a rubberised covering.

"Original sprayable sealer is now on the car. After a bit of testing I have got the finish looking very original. It used around 18 tubes to do all the inner wings, fuel tank, front tank support area and all the engine bay plus a few others areas. Inner wings and engine bay will be painted body colour as per original.

The fuel tank was also stripped and e-coated before getting a coat of spray sealer.

Thanks

Alan

Texture

Here is the e-coated tank

After sealer

"

Alan