Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the collectability of soft Window Targas

Opinions on the collectability of soft Window Targas

I have never been a Targa guy. But there has always been something about the soft window version I have liked. I know they are even more flexible than the glass versions, I know they weight more than coupes. But they were built in small number and I would think would gather a "following" at some point if they haven't already.
    Thanks,
    Phil

soft top and glass Targa

In Europe, there seems to be a slight preference for Coupes as they have the celebrated smooth roofline. However, soft top Targas are very sought after in Europe for their originality and rarity. I think there is also something very cool, vintage, and Seventies of the early glass Targas with a green tint.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

To me the soft window is closest thing to a convertible as far as an early 911 goes. When look look at 356 pricing the drop tops command a pretty substantial premium over the coupes, maybe a silly comparison.
    Phil

I've had three coupes and three targas now,and I like them both, but all of my targas have been glass. I never cared much for the soft top targas for three reasons:
    1)The plastic rear window gets hazy and discolored over time and are expensive to replace.
    2)The soft tops make even more noise when driving with the top up.
    3) Soft tops leak even more when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    I've had three coupes and three targas now,and I like them both, but all of my targas have been glass. I never cared much for the soft top targas for three reasons:
    1)The plastic rear window gets hazy and discolored over time and are expensive to replace.
    2)The soft tops make even more noise when driving with the top up.
    3) Soft tops leak even more when it rains.
    1) They don't get hazy or discolored if you never put them up....
    2) I love the noise of that flat six howling, top up or down....
    3) You drive in the rain????

e
    67S softie Aga blue
    67S softie polo red
    71E hard window
    73S hard window

They are collectible. Not sure if they will become the "356 convertible" equivalent of the early 911 world, but they will be more desirable than the more common 911 models. They are rare.

I think they're pretty cool, and they sure appear to be rare. However impractical they may have been as daily drivers, seems pretty irrelevant now. I've never put the top up on my old convertible in the two years I've owned it.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Exactly, I already have 2 coupe 911's. These are toys not transportation, I have a Volvo and a BMW to get to work.
    Phil

I think they are great. I have a 912 SW and love it. The rear window stays folded and the top off. It did take me years to find a really good one though.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    1) You drive in the rain????
    Erik, do you have a choice, in Seattle?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA