Thread: Oil leak

Oil leak

Not a very uncommon problem for our cars, but this leak is a new one on me. I noticed a steady drip from this tube that looks like it has a wire screen shock on it on my 71S. The location is on the passenger side, right between the engine and gearbox and near the inside of the oil cooler. My manual shows it as a Pressure relief valve of sorts.

After checking some more things, I noticed that the oil level was running about a quart too much. Anyone know if this drip is caused by the overfilling of the engine oil or a problem with the valve? Thanks Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Not a problem Allan...

This hard plastic 'pipe' is attached to back of the sheet metal to the oil cooler, and it has a rubber slotted end on it. The bottom drain of the air cleaner is attached to it with a hose through the sheet metal in the engine compartment. It's all part of a 'oil breathing system' that runs from the engine to the oil tank console to the air cleaner to the ground ... what your looking at is the gravity exit to the system.

The next time you replace your air filter be sure to clean the bottom of the housing were all the leftover vapor and blow bye collects.

Here's a pic of the back of my '73...

BTW - Of course it's not a problem only if you don't have excessive blow bye through the rings and or valve guides that MIGHT be causing the consistent drip through the oil breathing system...

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck, amazingly detailed engine, that's my next project. Just finished doing a complete body restoration after 15 years in storage and thought I should add 2 more quarts of oil so the cooler would fill up. I guess it was too much as when the car warms up, the oil is way over the dip stick Max. I think the over filled oil tank is the culprit....I hope. Should be on the road in the next few weeks. Now to start focusing on my 68 E-type that has been stored for 20 years lol. The fun never stops, Thanks again Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough