Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SWB Thru the Grill Fog Light Info

The fun part

about our longhood 911 hobby is that there are many ways to go. Nice job on those grills Bob!

-Allen-

PS A very interesting thing to me, at least, is that the yellow relay for your 911L foglights doesn't work like later 911 relays in that it does NOT reduce the current (granted not too high for foglights) going thru the switch. Rather, the factory wiring makes sure you can not use your Foglights (or driving lights if you put those on instead) when your High Beams are on!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E
    the fun part about our longhood 911 hobby is that there are many ways to go. Nice job on those grills Bob!
    Agreed.

THe attached is from Panorama March 1967 B & B Motors ad. This is what was available back then and what people bought/installed.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Carello as mentioned in above post:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

The attached is from Panorama Jan 1967:
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

PS A very interesting thing to me, at least, is that the yellow relay for your 911L foglights doesn't work like later 911 relays in that it does NOT reduce the current (granted not too high for foglights) going thru the switch. Rather, the factory wiring makes sure you can not use your Foglights (or driving lights if you put those on instead) when your Hight Beams are on!
    Like it is/was for the 356.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    To ME (and probably only ME), and as I mentioned earlier, I find it interesting what owners did back in the day. With the combined articles, SWB guys can re-create a "period correct" look without breaking the bank.
    Great stuff Bob, as always.

Not only is it fascinating to see how people prepared their cars "at the time", but IMHO it helps to see what really qualifies as "period correct". Achieving this in a more affordable way is just the icing on the cake.

That's really the trick to getting a car that just "looks right". But then you knew this already...........
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Quote Originally Posted by 304678
    Like it is/was for the 356.

Richard
    Hi Richard!

That's exactly true; it does puzzle me, though. The Factory SWB Repair Manual says the relay bypasses, reduces current ,through the switch, but it isn't right and confused me for a long time.

I just remember this

Bob,

Maybe this is where the PCA Pano guy got the idea. This if from a 1967 Christophorous article. Looks like this was done, maybe, before the factory make the grills with cut-outs. And note the lights!

-Allen-

Here is the same setup

Does anyone know, when this photos was taken, first appeared? Thanks.

-Allen-
    PS Photo scan courtesy of Michael D.

This is great information. To me, this fog/driving light issue is extremely murky water. Then again, I have not been involved in this hobby as long as some of you, so my knowledge is really limited. I would like (as I am sure others also) would like to see a thread (or other reference material) that is THE definitive authority on this subject. I am trying to add driving/fog lights to my car and want to be sure I do it period correct without breaking the bank. Basically, I need help big time (70SATMan has helped me a lot).

I would love to see this reference material broken down into a few areas as a suggestion:

1. SWB Period Light Choices
    2. SWB Mounting Photos and Drawings
    3. LWB Period Light Choices
    4. LWB Mounting Photos and Drawings
    5. Other Light Choices (Mercedes 6", ect)
    6. Alternative Mounting Options (other than factory)

Just an idea... I for one would like to know what my options are other than the factory lights, which are getting very expensive. What do you guys think? It sure would be nice to have one location to go over your options as far as aux lighting goes. I am sure with all the expertise here that we can put together a pretty comprehensive source for research including period magazine articles, ads, and photos.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T