Thread: Tony a2z 1968 Trans-Am 911

Tony a2z 1968 Trans-Am 911

Hello Everyone –

I would like to make some clarification on an issue that should have been publicly addressed sooner.

In 2004 I was involved in a project that was to bring back what I had hoped and believed to be my old No. 7 Trans-Am car. The chassis that was found had many earmarks that were similar to my recollection of the original car yet none of its original race components were present, not even the welded-in roll cage. This car appeared to be placed back into normal life as a street car. Unfortunately, there was no way to verify its authenticity since there wasn’t any apparent paper trail to the original Milestone Racing chassis. When the project was initiated ( I did not commission its inception ) my position was that it progress in a manner that would be “in the spirit of the original car” and thus provide a platform for my introduction to vintage racing. Near the completion of the project, the results of the end product seemed to slip from my control and differ from my own opinions. Aside from the paint job, the finished product was very disappointing to me. Despite my best efforts, the work performed and components installed simply were not to the specifications or spirit of the original car.

After a dismal appearance at Coronado in 2004, I had to divorce myself from the project. The end result and preparation of the car was extremely disappointing, regrettably I never made public my separation of that project car, I had since hoped that it would disappear, much the way the original car did. The Panorama article that was tied to this car was unfortunately already in print before I or the folks at Panorama could make any corrections. The unusual return of this car, was at best serendipity in the article.

It has been brought to my attention that this car is currently being advertised on e-Bay, AutoWeek and possibly other media not known to me, therefore I must now make known that I Do Not Endorse its authenticity. On that note, I was quite surprised to hear that the car had been sold and represented as original. The previous owner knew I would not support such a claim. I expected that any potential buyer would have contacted me in the course of their due diligence; however no one has ever contacted me since that fateful and embarrassing Coronado appearance.

I’m sure some rumors have been stirring about as to Mac Tilton, Don Breslauer and myself, all the original crew of Milestone Racing, who have been involved in entirely new project that will culminate what I had hoped the now-advertised car would have done. Under the direction of Marc Zurlinden, project engineer and everyone involved who have been working diligently to recreate the ole No. 7 car to debut early in the 2007 vintage racing season. Of course, this project in no way represents itself to be the restored original car but it will be authentic in everyway with the endless list of unique modifications that were made to the original are incorporated here, including the use of a 68- 912 chassis as its basis.

I hope this clears some of the mystery for all those kind enough to follow the stories. I thank everyone for their continued support and invite you to follow the construction progress of our “continuation U-2-7 car” through its completion on Laprecord.com.

Sincerely,
    Tony a2z
    Adamowicz

An incredible story. Thanks for sharing it (and the link to the other project).
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Interesting indeed. So, is the car for sale on this board the "disappointing" recreation that is advertised as "authenticated by Tony Adamowicz himself" because of some mixup related to "regrettably [] never ma[king] public my separation of that project car"?

Boy, I knew this was going to happen...:

And boy I know how this board loves to jump on particularly 'hot' topics that may directly effect our community... and good for us

BUT... This is what I'd like to do ... and please help me

Most of us know the principals of this controversy and they are both upstanding and ethical gentleman in both our small world of early 911's and of the greater worldwide auto collecting and motorsport community...

Saying that, I propose ALL communication on this topic go directly to Tony A. and or Don A. and keep the 'laundry' in the hamper and not in the fresh air of this message board.... At least for now...

Tony a2z a2zracer@usa.com
    Don A. http://www.porsport.com

When the dust settles ... we should and will discuss it further

Your moderator,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Come on Chuck we all love a good public Floggin. All kidding aside it's an excellent idea.
    Phil

I don't want to be pessemistic here, but this just ruins the fun and excitment

I think Chuck’s suggestion is wise.

It appears from recent posts that there has been some misunderstanding about Tony a2z’s posting which should be quickly clarified.

Tony does not contend that the current owner is acting in bad faith, considers it is probable that the car was misrepresented to the current owner by the seller.

It is unfortunate that Tony did not know of the impending sale, because he would have made his position known at that time. Since the car is now up for sale again, and since his “authentication” being cited, he felt it his duty to make his position public now.

I haven’t been able to reach him this evening, but given the tone of some of the recent postings, I felt I should make this clarification on his behalf right away.

Steve