Thread: Cad plate watershields?

Cad plate watershields?

Just dropped off watershields, carb linkage and intake plenum for bead blasting and while bs'ing with the guy i mentioned i was hoping to have enough stuff to make up a nice shipment to a cad plater (i really don't want to take the entire car apart right now). He asked if i was having the water shields cad plated. 'of course not.......' i said. then i thought about it. weighs less than paint, won't flake off into the carbs like paint....hmmm?

Anybody ever see this? Is it too flashy? I really don't care for flashy engine compartments and would rather have something that looks purposeful and clean.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Hello: I had a set that came with an engine that were chromed with Porsche hood emblems mounted on the top. They didn't look to bad. I like to have the filter housings powdercoated now. Thanks Eric

The watershields are fairly weighty. Plating them would make them even heavier. I would consider getting them acid-dipped if it were cost effective.

Powder coating is okay too. If you prep the metal in the least, a spray can paint job should be fine.

Sherwood

For the money the best look IMO(for what it's worth) are the fiberglass ones that Curt E. has on his motor. After the stripping and plating I think the cost would be just about an even trade off.
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

I LOVE Curt's watershields and was ready to order them. Then i read up and it seems there MAY be an issue with getting a tight seal on the filter because of the possible flex in the glass. Regarding plating cost i'm already getting a batch together so the incremental will not be that bad.

Curt's shields really are the sh!t though aren't they.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

K&N has a prouduct air filter seal grease. I even use it on my steel shields. I found out about it for use on my dirt bikes. Since I dont want to crank down to tight and crush the K&N filters. I ment to put out in the other posting when this issue came up, but since this one was current.
    Regards, Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Talk to Damon at Series 900 about the fit issue on the fibrglass shields. I just ordered a set from him yesterday. I did the thinner fiberglass ones and will fit an aluminum insert at the top to prevent flex. I have regular shields now that I "krinkle" painted since they were so badly pitted, but the fiberglass ones will be a great look.
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny