Thread: Help removing front rotor

Help removing front rotor

Hey guys, I feel stupid, but I can't figure out how to remove the front bearing cap without damage so I can replace the front rotor. I have the manuals but my cap must be a later style. Cap has a rounded grove around the cap with a slot in the hat but no access to the edge to help pry it off. Can anyone help? Please.
    Thanks in advance. Car is a 70E with replaced front struts.
    rich-911

I've had some success by using a claw-type hammer. Put the claw into the groove and tap the handle of the hammer with a mallet. If you do this on 3 or 4 different spots on the cap it should work itself out enough so that you can pry it out.
    '73.5T -- ST replica project
    Member #1045

Rich..

I use a small flat crow bar/ pry bar and like Twork I pry in a few places around the cap...don't try to get it off in one pull....work it a little at a time...it will come off.
    The crow / pry bar is common at most Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It is about 12 to 15 in long and about 2 in wide...it can be used on both ends. Usually see them colored blue.
    Good luck!

John

Thanks

I am still trying but no luck. I am soaking tonite in hopes this will help. The claw hammer catches as well as anything I have tried but it has still not budged.
    I will try again after it soaks overnite.
    Thanks
    Rich
    rich-911

More than Original
    Maybe try knocking it inward to break the seal and get it aligned straight. Even using the methods above if you work it to far one direction it gets stuck. Good Luck!
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Tap it a few times with a mallet to try and break the seal. I used the small crow bar and put leverage against the inner section of the rotor. Be aggressive, but not a gorilla. Keep working your way around the cap. It will come off, trust me. I just replaced all the brakes, bearings, etc. on my '71 E.
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny

If you're going to replace the bearings anyway, you could try putting a little heat on the cap.
    '73.5T -- ST replica project
    Member #1045