Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: American Racing Torq-Thrust Wheels

Richard,
    ARE does not make a wheel identical to the vintage wheels, but you may be able to buy one of thier two-piece Torque-Thrust wheels with a similar offset and have a 5" bolt circle modified to work with the Porsche. That being said, i wouldnt want to invest the time and money and still have a set of wheels that are not "correct". Once you had them you would probably still want the originals.

The 7" Aluminum Torque-Thrusts are similar offset to the late 7" Fuch.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Ahhh, the double lip T-70s...what a goofy wheel eh? I bought one in a junkyard years ago...only one I have ever seen.

I agree with what you have seen with the mag wheels. Everything up to 6" had the cone hub with the snap in center. The 7" and wider mag wheels had the 5-ear caps center. (of course we are talking about Porsche application only here)

Likewise, I have never seen any other Americans without the script and offset on the back. Weird that they would deviate for this one style unless they farmed them out to someone else.....not likely though

Finally, there is the holy grail, the VW and 356 bolt circle Americans that were made in aluminum and mag. If anyone has a pair of these taking up space, I will gladly help you out
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

American Racing Equipment

I'm still trying to learn about what I have... based on the information in this article I have the 200-S daisy wheels... they have a porsche bolt pattern, 15 x 9.5/10 dated coded 1974 (74 is the stamp).. also stamped into the aluminum is "special" .. I called American Racing and the fellow just didn't have a clue... anyone seen this wheel before? cool looking wheels... will be on the front of a 68SWB R-S/T-RSR project...

American did mke a 200 S in the Porsche pattern too. I have an old magazine story from the 70s with a car with those wheels. I will scan it for you.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Peekaboo,
    The Porsche bolt circle Torqu-Thrusts did not have the American Racing logo cast into them on the back-side. I just bought another set last week which puts me up to 7 or 8 sets total plus all the other sets that I have seen over the years and none of them had the American script.

Not conclusive of course, but I would have to be rather lucky (or unlucky perhaps) to 50-60 of these wheels pass through my hands and for all of them not to be Americans. Add to these Curts wheels, your wheels...etc

I am willing to revise my statement if someone can come up with a wheel that has the script.

You mention the "short run repro company" which I suspect was US mag. They also knocked off the American 200S Daisy spoke wheel. I would be shocked if they invested in the mold to make a Porsche offset wheel in the late 70s when Porsches had grown flarees and these wheels were quickly losing popularity. I bet that they instead stuck with the key market of Chev/Ford. Also, while the US Mags were nearly identical to the Americans, they had slight differences in the lug holes. Also, they were not finished quite as well. All of the Porsche Torque Thrusts I have owned have been finished out and machined to the same detail as American was known for.

My 2.565 cents!
    I found this thread and felt I should comment. The "short run repro company" mentioned was a company by the name of Appliance, and they were in business for a very long time. They still may be in business, but I don't know for sure. Appliance Torq Thrust D's are virtual duplicates of the ARE TTD wheels, except for the American Racing embossed on the inside. Appliance made a ton of these wheels during the 60's and 70's and are more widely available than their ARE counterparts. ARE's are worth maybe twice what Appliance wheels are worth, when they come up on eBay. They are actively traded by wheel enthusiasts. Aluminum ARE wheels always have AR embossed on the inside of the wheel. Vintage magnesium TTD's do not have AR embossed on the inside of the wheel. Appliance did not make a magnesium TTD wheel.

There's a gentleman in California, who advertises in Hemmings (209 area code), and has what may be the largest collection of these wheels in the world, but be prepared to pay the highest prices too.

>>>"Aluminum ARE wheels always have AR embossed on the inside of the wheel."<<<

I remember Appliance from way back. But I guess this goes to Dave's point: apparently, nobody has ever seen a Porsche TTD aluminum wheel with an ARE stamp on it. Are we to assume that all of these wheels are actually Appliance wheels? It seems like there would be many more Porsche ARE wheels sold since they heavily advertised them back in the day. I've never seen an advert for Appliance TTD for Porsche, not to say they weren't made.

Well, I emailed three of my vintage Torq Thrust D trading buddies, but only one has responded so far. He's never seen a Porsche TTD with the embossment on the back either. He's actually got a set available that I may buy, but I'll need to buy a Porsche to put them as well.

Will they fit SWB's and LWB's?

Depends a lot on ride height. The 7" aluminums are offset too far to the outside. You can mill off the flanges some to pull them in a bit. I think they look great if you can make them work.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Depends a lot on ride height. The 7" aluminums are offset too far to the outside. You can mill off the flanges some to pull them in a bit. I think they look great if you can make them work.
    What offsets do you have? Were you referring to the SWB or LWB or both? Thanks.

LWB. I think the hubs may sit inward a bit further on SWB so maybe there would be a better fit on a SWB.