Thread: option decoder for interiors

Question option decoder for interiors

I have seen plenty of decoders for the various options that were available on our cars, and there is plenty of information on the exterior colours and their various codes that even specify the paint manufacturer.

However I have never seen a comprehensive list of the interior colours / fabrics / materials options that were available for the early cars.

Does anyone know if one exists?

The Peter Morgan book (and others) lists various codes for colours and types of fabrics and colours and types of carpet. However these do not seem to match any codes I have seen on documents from Porsche itself when providing options codes or build data on specific cars. Indeed they seem to be "part numbers" more than anything.

The "RS book" does show a list of interior codes that do seem to correlate with what I have seen on various documents / letters describing specific cars. However as they applied to the RS only they only cover the various black options - not other colours.

For the record they are:

code type seats middle stripe
    11 LT black LT LT perforated
    12 LT black LT Courduroy
    13 LT black LT Hounds tooth
    16 LT black Leather Leather
    17 LT black Leather Courduroy
    18 LT black Leather Hounds tooth

99 special order

LT = leatherette

I have a code on the order sheet for my car that I can't find an explanation for - 32. The car has tan carpets and tan leatherette interior and seats with a corduroy centre stripe. (I am certain they are original although the Porsche "kardex" records show my car as having black seats with houndstooth - very unlikely in a car that seems to have an original tan interior)

There is no other information on the option data sheet that relates to the colour and type of interior but there is a 1111 for the exterior colour code - light ivory.

I am surmising that the pattern of numbers and options that were in the RS book in relation to black might be repeated, but with a different first number, for other coloured interiors - say a "3" for tan and another colour (maybe brown) for "2" etc.

That would make my mystery number "32" the code for tan leatherette interior with tan leatherette seats with a corduriy middle stripe.

I would be interested to know if anyone knows for sure, and in particular if they have the key to these codes.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hugh,

I am looking at my standard colour chart for 911 T / E / S dated 8/69 for the 1970 model year.
    Order number 32 is for a Bahai red car with : -

Interior trim - leatherette - beige

Seat material - leatherette - inlays - corduroy

availability - optional @ no extra cost - 911 T / E / S

1111 shows a light ivory car having a black leatherette interior with black leatherette seats as standard and corduroy or houndstooth inlays as no cost options.
    Confused ??
    Do you want a photocopy of this ?
    The writing is too small to scan well .
    Does anyone have a similar colour chart for '73 to confirm ?
    Jerry (TYP 901) might be able to get you one or try Millers Autolit.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Hi Dennis

best wishes for the new year

I think the material you have goes a long way to confirm my theory: there are 2 different codes - one for the exterior paint (and even that has two different codes) and one for the interior.

The document you have seems to look at each one separately

The 1111 is exterior colour - light ivory, also known as paint code 131.

By the 1970's there seems to be 2 codes used for the exterior, the 4 digit colour code that was used from the 356 era and was in the brochures, colour charts etc and the 3 digit one used on the paint tag on the car. In my case 1111 is the number on the paperwork and 131 on the paint tag. Both refer to light ivory.

However NONE of that relates to the interoir combination. So the example you have of light ivory exterior and black interior is described by the code 1111 but that does not cover the interior.

Hoewever the example you have with code 32 is not about the exterior colour Bahia red (022 or 1313) but about the interior.

It is the same code as on my paperwork and the same colour and combination as I have - although i would call it "tan" not "beige". I note in Morgan's book the light brown colour in 1970 is described as beige and the same colour in 1973 is described as tan!

I would love a photocopy at some stage - It all helps provide a few data points to help understand the original order sheets etc. (do you want to try to scan it and email it - it is surprising how well scanned copies blow up on a good PC screen - I even scanned my service record book and blew up the photo to try to read a dealer stamp I could not read on the original - it worked nut I still could't locate the dealer )

So far, from this, I am even further convinced that the interior codes are as I suggested in the first post. However i would love to see if anyone else has any other material to either confirm or contradict this
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

the code 32 is correct for tan leatherette interior with tan leatherette seats with a corduriy middle stripe (porsche call it beige ).my car has it ,, i think its great