Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cardboard? front fuse panel cover

Yes, 51 goes through the clip then then behind the battery hold down latch then out through a grommeted hole. Like the blue car in post 14 which has btw Italian park/directional lights.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

here is another photo.
    this one of the 700 mile car. note there is no clear tube making its way to the clip.

I think steve shea has it correct "I think that the clip is for cars with the Euro gas tank vent system. My Italian 73S has one."

I don't know how USA used the clip, (but my brother's un-restored USA 73.5 T had the clip in the cardboard) so a mystery.

Name:  700 mile.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  61.5 KB

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

One from a less than 50kmiles model year 72 ROW T carburettor version. RHD in this case but think that side of wheel is not relevant as same for ROW afaik bit different for North America with that market "extra gubbins".

Context: I was taking photo of the 72 screwdriver but happened to use the fiberboard panel as a background. It has a clip ( this is the reverse) and not shown does have a clear tube in the clip when back in proper place. Like Steve said when in situ was as post no 14

Name:  Screenshot_20200113-191301.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  56.4 KB

More silver than grey. Not with my car at present but board ( not screwdriver) similar to model year 73 RS from memory.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-13-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    here is another photo.
    this one of the 700 mile car. note there is no clear tube making its way to the clip.

I think steve shea has it correct "I think that the clip is for cars with the Euro gas tank vent system. My Italian 73S has one."

I don't know how USA used the clip, (but my brother's un-restored USA 73.5 T had the clip in the cardboard) so a mystery.

Name:  700 mile.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  61.5 KB
    Yes, Steve is correct, as are my other replies to this thread.

To summarize:
    For 1970+, RoW and US market cars had different tank ventilation systems.

For US cars, the shared pics from the "700 Mile S" illustrate perfectly the setup, lining up with the PET diagram.

For RoW cars, the cars continued the 1969 system, which I shared earlier in the thread in PET diagram. Also, the Italian market car photos illustrate the same setup.

Hope this makes sense
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Hi

I was reading back on other posts and was about to edit my post to say I agree it was as BEH911 also said earlier ...but you beat me to it

Even closer shot below showing the detailed colour/finish of the inside ( hidden side). Silver colour but the fibre board on reverse not smooth, visually a weave effect under silver surface finish from material used. Don't recall the build date of the car and it is not mine so in fairness to owner won't publish it's vin on www but it had original then new(ish) to ROW H4 so it was built after March 72 and oil flap so before model year 73

Name:  Screenshot_20200113-200736.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  105.2 KB

Happenschance I have shot of reverse of a part such as this but might be useful to show colour and material for folks who've not seen or got this part for a 72 car.

Cheers
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-13-2020 at 11:33 AM.

The clip is for a hose found on all '69's and European cars after '69 . It comes from Y # 49 in the diagram beh911 posted . It is not on cars with the charcoal canister .
    Last edited by Richy; 01-13-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Just to clarify...For the 1970 USA cars, the clip is not used. Is that correct?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

On my 70 it’s clear to me that the board material for the fuse cover is the same as was used to make the parcel shelf’s and the early full panel door cards.

When I purchased my car from a long sleep, the board was a bit beat up but, there was no
    Clip present and it didn’t appear that one had been installed. That original card material scratches pretty easily.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

For comparison to my earlier post #25 this is a closeup showing the colour and material one on my first series RS; as stated pretty similar to the 72T I pictured. It is similar silver hue in reality although artefact of photo and lighting today makes it seem more dull and light grey.

Name:  Screenshot_20200114-154619.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  55.5 KB

Similarity is unsurprising as they were buit the same calendar year and the fibreboard part is generic across kodels. Both the T and the RS have a clip and clear tube as discussed -- correct with them being ROW specification

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Current cardboard cover is much thinner than the original ones. Or the old ones have absorbed so much moisture over 50 yrs..

Cees