Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachbuilders for Porsche +/- on Value or Perception?

Coachbuilders for Porsche +/- on Value or Perception?

Just curious if there is, or ever has been, any negative (or positive) sentiment toward bodies made for Porsche by Karmann, Reutter, Drauz (sp?), etc. Have there been any defects or differences of note that alter their value one way or the other?

In modern manufacturing, that sort of thing could be construed as outsourcing, farming-out, contracting, whatever... but generally not regarded as a positive, often even percieved as being less than the "real thing". Was that the case back then or no?

BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I would always pick a Karmann out of the 69-71 bodies. Weight will always make a diffrence. As the late great Smokey used to say "the loss of 7 pounds will be compairable too gaining about 1 hp". And since the loss of 100 pounds of is equal to gaining about 10 ponies. Gee the choice is clear to me Mr Obvious .
    Regards. Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I don't know about 35 years ago. But today? The early 911 body that's worth the most is the one with the least amount of rust.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Brad-
    The Reuter cars got galvanized floor pans in '70, whereas the Karman cars did not. I have heard claims that there are other differences, but no one has ever been explicit about the matter. As for "outsourcing," the use of coach builders used to be the norm. Porsche didn't buy Reuter until the early '70s, and had not produced bodies of their own to any great degree prior to that acquisition.

-Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Thanks guys, that's why I asked!

So was it the galvinizing that made Reuters heavier? A little confused about that... Were the Karmann cars structurally different in any way making them lighter?

I'm not sure were I got it, but I thought Reuter was bought in the later 356 era... thanks Scott for the update. I do realize that coachbuilding was totally the norm in Europe, and that's part of what makes cars of this and previous eras so unique!

BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'm not sure were I got it, but I thought Reuter was bought in the later 356 era...
    It was .. the summer of 1963.

Richard

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Jeff Smith is the guy to answer these questions. He has owned both, and could likely supply an inventory of the differences. I don't think the weight difference can be attributed to the galvanizing.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

This earlier thread was useful to me...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=karmann
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It still doesn't answer the question- what are some of the differeences between a Karmann car and a Reutter/porsche car besides galvanizing?

ex. extra sheetmetal, different welding method, etc??

Erick

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    Different Germans...

Tom
    That about sums it up...

Until this thread I was under the impression that Karmann bodied cars were ever so slightly less desirable. But then that's likely old BS as well....

There is likely is no definitive answer...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway