Thread: Good radio reception without external antenna?

Good radio reception without external antenna?

Has anyone had any luck in achieving good am/fm reception without the use of an external antenna or a windshield-embedded antenna? Car in question is a '70S coupe and radio would be either a Blaupunkt Franfurt or Backer Mexico.

Many thanks,

John

Funny that you ask. I just hooked up a Frankfurt that i got recently and was amazed at the reception in my garage without the antenna hooked up. Give it a try.
    My ignition is retarded.

You will not have such great luck with AM, tho....
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Thumbs up

This is too funny.

I just today finished returning my Blaupunkt Frankfurt to its original home in the dash of my 911. I had it refurbished last year but had yet to get around to yanking out the cheap Blaupunkt cassette stereo (made in Malaysia) I had plugged in back in the early 90's. It actually sounds pretty good coming through the old center of the dash speaker. I can remove the stereo speakers I had mounted in the back as I did not cut or damage anything in a permanent way when I originally installed them. I may explore hooking them up and seeing if the output of this old lady can drive them. I really like the retro look, the modern cassette never quite looked right surrounded by the waffle patterned material

Didn't sound too good w/o the antenna plugged in though... But then all the real music comes from the tailpipe anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Quick answer is no, not consistently anyway. If deleting the attenae is you objective, I recall a kit that you can get that tapes a thin wire around your windshield. I'm sure it's not carried by the auto chain stores anymore given the lack of attenaes for the past couple of decades, but it's something that may show up in a JC Whittney catelog.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

John,
    You may want to try a late 80's windscreen with the antenna embedded into it.Should be some at your local panel shop.
    Apparantly these were not too sucessful here in the day as Sydney is a relatively hilly city and reception was patchy.
    Just my 0.02 c....

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Hello; Here is what you can try. Hook up the antenna and lay it in the front trunk and close the hood. I think you will find it will work just fine. After you decide that it works well enough lay it behind the gauge cover. I have done this on 4 cars and it works fine. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Good radio reception without external antenna?

Thank you all for your input. I am going to try the antenna under the front decklid approach, since it will be cheap and discreet. Desired result is to get local traffic and weather inputs, not concert hall music. No question that all the great mechanical sounds will be the priority.

All best to you.