Thread: Brake Master Cylinder Warning Switch

Brake Master Cylinder Warning Switch

My brake master cylinder warning switch is kaput and I want to replace it. I called my friendly P-car dealership and they want $69.95 for the replacement unit .

I suspect that I can get it for a lot less if I know what to ask for. Can anyone here help me out in finding a cost effective crossreference part number?

TIA
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry,
    The generic switch description is a normally open (NO) SPST micro switch. The current rating would be on the order of <10A. The non-generic part of this switch is the mount pattern and the switch arm that contacts the large washer on the MC push rod. Not sure about alternate sources for a new switch, but if you locate, please let us know.

Sherwood

Bosch makes replacements considerably cheaper than the factory part. I recently needed to replace one when the new MC I purchased came with a single pole switch and I needed a double pole for the ‘68.

This is the one that was installed in the new MC but swapped prior to installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pelican has the one you are looking for for 13 bucks. Link is here http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...945-515H-M5064

Scroll up, Good luck Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox
    Pelican has the one you are looking for for 13 bucks. Link is here http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...945-515H-M5064

Scroll up, Good luck Allan
    Allan,

Thanks, I know about Pelican but I was wanted to pick one up locally and was trying to get "smart".

I also was hoping to get a bit of discussion on cross references on other parts as I would think we all would like to save a few $$.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

"My brake master cylinder warning switch is kaput.... "

Harry,
    I misread this. I was referring to the brake light switch on the pedal assy.

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars
    "My brake master cylinder warning switch is kaput.... "

Harry,
    I misread this. I was referring to the brake light switch on the pedal assy.

Sherwood
    Sherwood, no biggie. I know I have my senior moments.....
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Check your local VW parts house its the same type of switch. The Vw's used two types a two pin and a three pin I believe the the pin 68 and later due to the dual circuit brakes so you will need an 67 and earlier