Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct sport seat base finish '72

Correct sport seat base finish '72

I posted this question over yonder on pelican, only because I haven't gotten down the photo size bit just yet. The bases and recliner mechanisms have been hand painted black. Was that right? There are pics at this link:http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=325048

Interesting question, since I was wondering the same about my '69S. I was told by another member that his car (a '70S) came with Zinc plated bases. Did these cars come with different base finishes depending on year?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

The sliders under the base look to have been zinc plated on my car.

My original 71S has grey zinc coated base runners. The upper rails are black, not sure if it was brushed on, mine looks pretty flat and even.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Hi,

In case it helps here are some pics of a pair of 73 seats/frames I just refurbished. These are different in that they have a twin locking release. The release lever and sliders should be plated not painted. These frames are powder coated and when compared to the original painted finish should contain a little less gloss.

Here is a close up pic

HTH

Alan

Here's a couple of shots of a brand new '69-'72 tilting seat base I just sold with a re-upholstered seat:

Incidentally, this is the seat that went with it:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by Alan.uk
    Hi,

In case it helps here are some pics of a pair of 73 seats/frames I just refurbished. These are different in that they have a twin locking release. The release lever and sliders should be plated not painted. These frames are powder coated and when compared to the original painted finish should contain a little less gloss.

Here is a close up pic

HTH

Alan

and here are those seats in my 1973 2.4S

1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

OMG, do I WISH I had a group motion photo like that with my car in it!!!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thank you all. Andy, I couldn't have asked for a better reference! I really didn't like the looks of my bases at all, and probably wouldn't have redone them that way, but it's also good to know that they were smooth, and SPRAYED satin black from the factory. Just the way I wanted to do them. Now for the recliner mechanism; it apparently was wrinkle finish black. Can we verify this? I'd prefer to paint it the same way as the base, but for reference purposes I'd like to know how they came from the factory. I've got Bret Johnson's book, but not with me at the moment. Does it have anything on the finish of the recliner mechanism? Thanks all.

My memory tells me that they are indeed wrinkle finish black; any powder coater can replicate that finish with ease.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389