Thread: 2 quick how to's needed: license panel and glove box lid

2 quick how to's needed: license panel and glove box lid

hi all

i have to pull the license panel on my 69E to replace the engine lid seal. i also have to remove the glove box lid for the cage builder. can anyone give me a quick how to on the order i have to remove things?
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

This will show, to a certain extent, the parts you will be dealing with.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...spdfcatalogue/
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

thanks rick. the license panel looks easy, remove the allen screws from the top of the overriders and everything else follows.

anyone know howi remove the glove box lid - i'm thinking that the knee pad must come off to access the hinges?
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Looking at the glove box, getting to the hinges sure beats the heck out of me. It doesn't even look like removing the knee pad will get you there. I see the screws to remove, but can't tell how you get to them.

All this rambling on my part is just killing time until the honorable Mr. Miller chimes in with the solution............
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

that's cool rick - its still a bump until someone with a more of a clue comes along.

how's the weather where you are? its blue skies and really hot here, heading out for a beer soon...
    Cheers, Ryan

first you need to remove the knee panel. This is fastened with two 8mm nuts. One is below the radio, the other is to the far right.

Once the knee panel is removed, you will need to remove 4 fasteners which bolt the hinge to the body. Two screws with nuts can be seen from the front. Two additional nuts hold the hinge from below.
    Peter Stey
    1973 T Coupe with 2.7MFI
    1970 S Targa (sold but not forgotten)

thanks peter
    Cheers, Ryan

re bumper guards

Don't forget on the bumper guards their is a allen bolt on the bottom of the guard besides the two on the top. Three total.

Make sure you have all the rubber lined up when you put it back together, meaning the one between the body and the top of the panel.

Good luck,
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Don't forget on the bumper guards their is a allen bolt on the bottom of the guard besides the two on the top. Three total....
    Ok, this was supposed to be a small job - refinish the glove box door - pretty it up before the Watkins Glen vintage event. Never realized getting it off was such a pita. So, I found the post above, and after reading , I see I need to remove the knee panel. The on-line parts book shows one nut, in the center, the post above says 3? Is the parts diagram missing 2? Also, how much clearance do I need to drop the knee pad? Am I going to have to take the AC totally apart too or if I pull it down 2" or so , will it clear??

And, I found a photo from another posting that seems to show 2 bolts hold the glove box on,posting above says 4? Was there variation year to year? Will this be obvious when I get the knee pad off?

Last edited by luke-44; 08-28-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Never mind...I got the AC unit out and it makes it a whole lot easier to see. That sucker took up a lot of real estate...

By the way, the knee pad has four pins, glove box has 2 threaded studs.
    Last edited by luke-44; 08-28-2012 at 05:06 AM.