Thread: But It Is Sooooooo Original

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar

But It Is Sooooooo Original

I really got a kick out of this paragraph, lifted from a current ebay auction for a 1954 Speedster.....

"With the desire for more power the previous owner installed 356C engine #714450 about 34 years ago and the engine has done only 6,600 miles total. Top is new Autos International, top boot new from AI, seats done in leather by AI, side curtains restored by AI and there is also a full tonneau. The car has been repainted from the original white to red. This Speedster body is superb, straight and original top and bottom. You just cannot beat originality."

That paragraph 'all about originality' includes the words; installed, new, new, done, restored and repainted.

And actually, the first Speedsters were 1955 Models anyway

And not that you'd really want it, I'd regret not including the link to this auction; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-...QQcmdZViewItem just in case you did.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

the word original sure has a lot of meanings these days
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

The car should also have skinny 16" wheels. These are pretty pricey these days, although you wouldn't want to run 3.5" rims.

The first 200 vin numbers are considered 1954 models. Their bodies are slightly different in the back seat area after 200. It is so original that it was repainted a different color.

In 1955 you got a choice of only 3 colors.

Think patriotic.......yep, red white or blue.

Scooter
    ex 1954 Speedster owner.

"You just cannot beat originality."

Did I miss something?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

54 speedster

Looks like your taking originality out of context, he is referring to the body --original top and bottom --which I interpret as meaning original floors etc., not a rebuilt rust bucket.

Michael

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    Michael:

My point is this. He talks about all of the things that have been redone, replaced, restored or repainted and ends that paragraph with, "you just can't beat originality". A rather ironic way to present it if you ask me.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Reminds me of toy cars that I collect and ads that claim the cars are "mint" (or one of my favorite variations, "minty"!). As with "mint", "original" appears to be a relative term.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100