Thread: Removing handbrake assembly

Removing handbrake assembly

I am removing the hand break assembly in order to repair the hand throttle. I have removed the tree screws that hold the assembly, but there is not enough space to work underneath the assembly. I removed the two nuts that hold the heater lever and the hand throttle and managed to get the thru bolt out. Then I got the hand throttle lever out. The problem is that the hand break and the plate it is attached to still make it difficult to get underneath it to unhook the hand break cables from the assembly. I have never done this before so I am not sure how they are connected. The heater lever is also still attached to the wire but I screwed of the knob, so that when the hand break comes loose the lever will clear thru the hand break plate.

My trouble is to disconnect the break cables. Any tips or pictures?

(I tried to search here and pelican but did not find what I need)

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Hi John,

You need to disconnect the H/brake to be able to give your self enough space. Just get you hand in there and pry the clip off the h/brake compensating piece. It's the same as the clutch set up, in case you are familiar with those.

Alan

Here is a pic, I have circxuled the item you need to push open and pry out.

John,
    I did this last month with out removing the cables but worked the hand brake set up out of it's mounts. I did however remove the drivers seat but the repair was pretty straight forward. I did go out and buy a magnet assuming I would drop something down the tunnel. Put a rag under the setup as you take the small "C" clip off to slide the new plastic throttle piece on.
    Nice to have that hand throttle working properly again.

Daron

Hey John;

I found disassembling the entire assembly the easiest way fo doing this, especially if this is your first time. Take both nuts off holding the throttle and heater levers. Unthread the red heater knob and disconnect the handbrake electrical wire. With a little angling, the throttle lever should pull out if the plastic arm has broken off. If not, you can still get it clear of the pivot pin. The piviot bolt for the handbrake will slip out only from one side (I think it's the throttle side). Make sure you keep the washers and friction plates seperated for each side as they are different. The plate should now lift up along the handbrake lever leaving the heater lever in the pit and exposing the "H" pin that Alan mentioned. Unclip the "H" pin from the cable and withdraw the pin realeasing the bellcrank holding onto the brake cables. Withdraw the entire assembly. This would be a great time to detail the handbrake and polish up the levers. Install the new plastic throttle arm with the lever through the plate, but don't put the pivot or washers in yet. Drop the assembly back into place and reconnect the "H" pin. Angle the plate with the throttle lever back into place making sure that the plastic arm locates in the correct position on the throttle cable and the heater lever comes through correctly on the plate. Replace the pivot pin through the plate and handbrake lever (remember it only goes on one way and is keyed). Replace the wire, friction washers, levers and caps exactly the same way they came off and check to see that the plastic arm is still in position. If all is good, retighten all bolts making sure the lever bolts are not too tight not allowing movement, but tight enough so they will hold at any position. The throttle arm holds RPM by pushing and holding on to an aluminum collar on the cable which is accessable through a oval shaped hole forward of the handbrake plate. The collar is held on by a tiny flat slotted set screw that should be at 12 O'clock top center. Don't loosen this too much as the collar is slotted and could spin and drop off the cable requiring you to remove the assembly again to fish it out. Start the car and hold the RPMs at 4,000 with the pedal. You should see the plastic arm through the hole with the lever all the way up. Loosen the collar and move it back to the arm and tighten. Your done, good luck Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Thanks everyone, its now out and in pieces. I beadblasted all the part and have painted the baseplate and handbreak with POR-15 and will overpaint with satinblack.

I removed the nuts and the friction plates and thrubolt that holds the levers.

The way I got it out was to remove the pin just in front of the circle in Alans picture, there was a small "slotted washer holding the pin"(see picture). After lifting out the assembly I removed the last two pieces in the tunnel, the arm with the hooks for the cables, the "bolt" with a hole in each end in the middle of Alans picture and the locking mecanisme that holds the "bolt" to the arm with the hooks.

Some surface rust, but a LOT of old grime and dirt in the tunnel !! I guess at least one hour to get it cleaned out.

There was a small black plastic piece with a copper contact surface mounted at the back of the handbreak assembly, its broken.

I need the black plastic contact piece and the plastic piece for the handthrottle, anybody have this or know where I can get them?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Stoddard has them, I bought two when my original gave up the ghost.

69911S, When you say Stoddard has them, do you mean the small broken piece, or the entire assembly, and if just the small piece, do you recall the part number? Thanks!

I found both on Pelican(the plastic piece for the handthrottle and plastic contact piece) Now I will just have to wait for the part to arrive to be able reinstall the handbreak assembly.

Search for "hand trottle" on pelican

Thanks !

John
    Early 911S Registry #931