Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headers

Headers

Now that I've got my car running - not UP and running just yet, but she hummmmmms - I've started seriously researching various exhaust systems.

I am definitely NOT running heaters, but I'm not really sure what companies are out there for quality, high-output headers. I'm intimately familiar with Bursch's products - I've been very happy with them up to now - but I am looking for alternatives. Stainless is not necessary.

BTW, I think - if memory serves - my exhaust ports are 40mm.

So I open up the discussion to you. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks, fellas.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Marco:

You'll get many opinions on this subject but if you do not need heat, the only thing I'd use is a set of George's European Car Headers of the appropriate size for your engine's displacement and internal configuration.

Well made, mild-steel, and great performance (better than most!).
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

I figured that would be the first recommendation, Steve.

Have you ever heard of AR (Air Reversion) headers?
    -Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146
    I figured that would be the first recommendation, Steve.

Have you ever heard of AR (Air Reversion) headers?
    AR stands for 'Anti-Reversionary" headers and I have them on my own car,...

AFAIK, those are lonnnnnnngggg out of production since I bought my last 3 sets in 1980. Did someone offer a set?
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport
    AFAIK, those are lonnnnnnngggg out of production since I bought my last 3 sets in 1980. Did someone offer a set?
    My dad's been running them on his car for more than a decade. I have a set with three bolt flanges and no S pipes. I need the S pipes to make them work.

BTW, do you have a pair you want to sell?
    -Marco

Marco,
    You may want to look a Cox Motorsports. He makes them to the spec of the motor, intake, displacment, cam, headflow, port size. 3 into 2 into 1 with stepped tubes. He does both mild-steel and stainless.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My dad's been running them on his car for more than a decade. I have a set with three bolt flanges and no S pipes. I need the S pipes to make them work.

BTW, do you have a pair you want to sell?
    LOL,..After 27 years, I do not have any left,...

The S pipes are a simple item and you ought to be able to have some made at a local muffler shop pretty easily.

The Cox Motorsports exhaust looks intriguing but we have not dynoed them here to see what they do across the whole RPM range compared to our regular race systems.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Those Cox Motorsports pieces look sweet ... which usually means big $,$$$. Does anyone have any personal experience using them?

Steve, I have been meaning to do exaclty what you said re: the S pipes; been draggin' my feet.

On a different note, I wonder if reproducing the AR headers would be a worthwhile undertaking. If there's a strong enough demand for that stuff, I would seriously consider doing the footwork.
    -Marco

On a different note, I wonder if reproducing the AR headers would be a worthwhile undertaking. If there's a strong enough demand for that stuff, I would seriously consider doing the footwork.
    Those AR headers were originally made by Cyclone way back when. Those were far better quality than Cylcone's domestic products so I suspect that why they cost what they did at the time.

If someone would make them PRECISELY as they were to the last detail, I think there is a market for these as I've seen what the AR cones do in engines with long-duration, narrow lobe center cams.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport
    If someone would make them PRECISELY as they were to the last detail, I think there is a market for these
    It always looked to me like the AR headers were simply equal-length tubes with the reversion cone/flange area welded on. Also, all of the sets that I've seen were shorties - i.e. need S pipes.

That said, I've entertained the idea of lopping off the reversion cones from a set of trashed AR headers and welding them on to, say, a set of Bursch headers of the same ID. I've always balked because I'm not sure that it would produce the same results.
    -Marco