Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halda Twinmaster & Porsche

Halda Twinmaster & Porsche

Any Halda Experts out there?

I managed to score a free Twinmaster and have a few questions.

Firstly when did they first start making the plastic bodies (which I have) as opposed to the steel bodies?

I have a T piece which has the numbers V48N and then 81 underneath. Will this fit my car? I can't find any reference to that code on the net. I believe it came out of a Datsun....

Anyone know what gears I should use to callibrate it with 205/60/15 tyres? (Longshot but I had to ask!)

Oh and anyone have a photo or template of the mounting bracket?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Nice score!

Not an expert but the buttons on the bottom are from an alloy case Twin/trip. The first alloys were introduced in '64, plastic bodied Twins are from the 70's. I prefer the alloys since they are smoother to operate but since you got it for free I would not complain

Regarding T gear you should have a V14

X & Z Gears, depends on your transmissionratio (as well). I would start w/ 58 on the Z and than figure out which X you need. 127 can be close.

The 81 is 8:1 reduction

Richard

Nice score indeed! I have a Halda Twinmaster that used to be in my '67S (sold) and will be placed in the RS replica I just bought. I had 225/55/16's on the rear wheels, so that would work almost exactly as your setup.
    I'll check tonight what the gearing is that is still in the Twinmaster.
    Arjen
    early s registry #661
    r-gruppe # 604

Congrats Cam! Properly calibrated, you should be able to measure to the 1/1000th of a mile.

Richard,

Could you comment on the advantages of Twinmaster vs. the Tripmaster? I'm thinking of getting one for vintage rallies and had been favoring the smaller Trip.

Thanks,
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Twin vs. Tripmaster

Hgarazo,

A Twin you only need when you do TSD rallies (also called regularities). Time - Speed - Distance is when you have to drive an average speed for a certain time (like next 30 minutes, 28.6 mls an hour).

When you have 2 registers like on a Twin, you can zero one register and let the other keep counting. The one that you zero, you use for navigation. The one that keeps counting (from the start) you use to check to see if you are on your average speed. By the way a Twin/trip w/ a time table can be 60 times more precise than a Speedpilot. A Speedpilot has a clock which only counts minutes, your table can be in seconds although 10 sec intervals work good enough. TSD's can be done w/i a second. All you need is a good calibrated Twin/trip, a time table and a driver who listens better than your significant other.

If you have no regularties in your rallies than a Tripmaster is sufficient.

Last if you do need 2 registers, you can also opt to install 2 Tripmasters. Two trips cost about 2/3 of one Twin. Unless you get your Twin for free

I hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks Richard. That really helps alot. I now see how having that extra "counter" during a section before the next "instruction" could be a big help. Twinmaster it is! I mainly enjoy the driving and camaraderie, but I'm trying to appreciate the TSD aspect as well.

I have done this the last 2 years:

www.carolinatrophy.com

What a blast! Once as navigator/co-driver in an AH3000, and last year as driver in my "Sebring" MGB. I'm hoping to have my '68 L presentable in time for this years' Trophy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henry Garazo
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

OK, I checked. I have 129 and 55 gears in my Halda Twinmaster, with an 8:1 T-piece and 225/55/15 tires. Works perfectly. Hope this helps!
    early s registry #661
    r-gruppe # 604

The 55 you will find in any Trip or Twinmaster. That wheel is only to connect the X w/ the Z. Please check again. It's either a 58 or (small chance) 48. The gears that can be adjusted in a Trip/Twin are not screwed.

By the way since you have a 55 series tire and Cam a 60 series will he most likely need another (lower numbered) X gear.

Regards,

Richard

Guys thanks for your input. Anyone have any spare gears to sell once we work out roughly what combination I will need?

Also anyone have any dimensions for the mounting bracket?

Cheers!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Cam,

These two places are supposed to be good:

http://www.geocities.com/motorCity/speedway/1519/

http://www.donbarrow.co.uk/halda_tripmeters.html

A friend of mine bought a Twinmaster from "King Kog" and was pleased.

I've got photos of a nice glove box bracket for the Halda with Heuers I'll try to find for you.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!
    Henry Garazo
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA