Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 E mods

2.2 E mods

looking for a bit of info on Southeast shops that do good head and cyl work. I've got 85mm 10:1 JE's and need cyls bored; also have a spare set of heads that need at least guides, twin plugging, and probably seats. Any recommendations? Gotta be some good Atlanta and Charlotte shops right?

Also, the engine will have stock E MFI, - anyone have any experience running the above mods with a bit more cam? Solex cams? Mostly street use, with as many track days as I can fit in.

71E, 22/27 Tbars, Smart Sways, revalved Bilsteins, hard bushed, lotsafun.

thx

C

Call Don at Air Cooled Classics: http://aircooledclassics.biz/ I am not sure if TN is southeast enough, but his work is great. I am running one of his motors now.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I've heard Don is great and if you need someone farther south I highly recomend Mike Bruns of JB Racing. www.jbracing.com
    Location/Mailing Address:

527 Southridge Industrial Drive
    Tavares, Florida 32778 (USA)

Hours of Operation:

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST), M-F

Phone:

352-343-8900

Fax:

352-343-8174

E-Mail:

info@jbracing.com
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

A 71E cam is an "early E," the same as a Solex: 29/39/39/19, as distinct from the "Late E" camshaft. If you bump the displacement your CR will be over 10,1, that coupled with the porting I would say you are taking a substantial risk that the stock E fuel delivery curve will not be adequate.

The real danger is that the pumps tend to lean out at high RPM. A well-known race mechanic in these parts claims that even the "S" space cam doesn't provide a fat enough mixture.

I would consider a set of PMOs as a backup, but the only way to tell is to put AFR probes in the muffler inlets and let the data tell you.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

2.2 E mods

thanks for the info everyone - my understanding from Anderson's book was Solex cams were a bit more aggressive than the E cams - can't find the book right now to verify.

Anyone else have experience with the tuning range of the E pumps? My understanding is the pumps do have a bit of problem at very high revs, but I'm going to stay at 7200 limit. I will be running O2 sensors.

Thx

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by 0687
    I will be running O2 sensors.

Thx

Chip
    O2 sensors and MFI? Do explain.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

2.2 E mods

hi Kenik -re O2 sensors - why not - these days they're cheap, and just a bit more accurate than reading plugs. Esp when I'm playing with CR and displacement and don't have a selection of MFI space cams for infinite permutations of both. If there was someone within 15 miles with a chassis dyno I'd probably go that route but I'd probably end up same costwise as the sensors and only have one time shot at it.

Oh, my bad. I thought perhaps you were planning on using an O2 sensor in real time to adjust the mixture. I have toyed with this, but it is very difficult on MFI. Basically you need a brain that can be converted to activate a servo that can adjust the richness control on the pump. Very daunting. I thought perhaps you were trying to solve this issue.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

2.2 E mods

Kenik - great minds.....

me too - one of the challenges I've been working on is getting mine leaned out quickly during warm up - I drive it EVERY day, and most times not enough to get hot, sometimes several days in a row lukewarm. The oil gets smelling like gas really quick, so I change it a LOT, and I've done a bit of playing - first replaced a few leaky injectors - that helped , then with the thermostat - first just keeping it clean and fed w warm air, then pulling discs one at a time. Anyway, long story short, the thermostat seems to have a wide "trim" range - it requires a helluva mix change to keep a dead cold (35-40F) engine running smooth, and I believe the thermo changes the whole speed spectrum. I've been toying with how to change it on the fly - not that hard manually. Your ideas?

Here's solution number one: Manual manipulation of the enrichment circuit from inside the cabin:

http://www.supertecperformance.com/n...products.phtml

Scroll down to "MFI FUEL ENRICHMENT". Now if you could write some code for a Megasquirt box that could drive a servo connected to this little puppy based on O2 sensor input, problem solved...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389