Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: attention any and all pre 1970 owners

Is this what you are looking for? 1970E Karmann coupe #0012, built in 7/69. Photo is adjusted and doesn't represent the Irish Green door jamb. The paint code is 1515 and the car was partially resprayed at some point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

That has to be one of the earliest examples. Too bad that it is not a face-on shot. Where is this car now? So now we need to find a good example of the 1968 plate with rivets.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

The car is in my garage; my camera battery died right after I took that shot, so I never got the full frontal shot. I'll work on it tonight.
    Brad Anderson

Lets Expand this to cover lots of Vin Plate Issues

As I read this, I wonder if we should expand the discussion to cover when the four obvious VIN Numbers appeared on these cars. I think we should save discussions of the "hidden" VIN's for a later day. These would be:

1-The plate in the front of the Trunk
    2-The stamp next to the smugglers box
    3-The plate on the windshield
    4-The Sticker on the Door Stirker plate post.

If I am not mistaken (and I probabbly am), locations 1 and 2 have been there since the first car.

Location 3 showed up some time later

Location 4 appears to be around the 1970 Model Year.

What say you experts?
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Interesting. I'm the second owner of Ol' Blue ('67 912 Karmann coupe) and it had a sticker on the driver's side lock post which told of its manufacture? date as Dec ??, 1966. I didn't give a second thought about scraping it off for a bare metal paint job back in 1987. There was no mention of this date in the 1998 COA.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

The stamped VIN in the body near the smugglers box is pretty much a constant.
    The aluminum data plate not only has several version over the years, but also the locations have changed.
    The VIN was also found on the paint badge on the door hinge post through 1968.
    The VIN on the A pillar and on the Compliance decal probably started for the 1970 MY for NA destinations.
    The VIN was the hidden dash #'s (cowl and ashtray) into 1968.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Amag vin

FYI, all swiss(RoW) Porsche cars had an unique individual VIN number ("Laufnummer") given by the swiss importer AMAG.

-up to approx. 1969 MY: riveted aluminum plate in engine area, usually on traverse.
    -after approx. 1970 MY: orange/black sticker in trunk area, usually on inner fender.

The AMAG 4 digit number code will give you all factory kardex infos plus date of import, date of car sale, dealer adress and special equipment supplied by AMAG for swiss market only. (AMAG is still in business today).

Registry member No.773

After fighting through the PET on many of the areas of my 68 911 I believe these things don't necessarily change with the model year but instead with stock in the supply bin. I've posted when my car was made and which sticker was in which location only to be followed by a post that contridicted where my stickers are. It's probably just that if they ran out of rivited plates they threw in some left over sticky ones. Or even if it was a '69 MY car they were building, if there were '68 version labels left over, they used then where they could.

It's probably not coincidence that my PET covers both '68 and '69 and some '67.

All that aside, I happen to need one of the "sticky" versions of the compliance sticker since mine is almost unreadable. Anyone know were I could find one?

My 2 cents.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

The plate on the A pillar started in MY 1969 - near as I can tell cars that were to be sold (in the US at least) after 1/69. Early 69 cars - I personally know of 2 with October 68 build dates - do not have them (and they were BOTH US delivery), but later cars - I personally know of 2 with March and April 69 build dates - do.
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

Better photo, door jamb sticker and front VIN plate. Please excuse the cracked hood seal, it is on the list... Not enough light this evening to get the window plate without glare.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Brad Anderson