Thread: 2.2 T heads similar to 2.2 S and others ?

2.2 T heads similar to 2.2 S and others ?

Hello,

I have heard that 2.2 T heads are similar to 2.2 S and other heads up to 2.7 engines. Is it true ?

I have a 2.2 T complete engine and I don't know if the best choice is to sell it complete or parting out ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, yes the 2.2T heads are similar to the 2.2E and 2.2S heads (as well as the 2.4T, 2.E and 2.4S heads) in that they have the same valve sizes (46 intake /40 exhaust).
    However, they have much smaller porting. The T motor has 30mm porting, the E has 32mm, and the S has 36mm. Theortetically a T head could be ported to S spec's and used for doing an S rebuild. But after factoring the cost of machining the ports by a good machine shop, you are probably better off just trying to buy real S heads.
    Another reason for the low desirability of an original 2.2T motor is that it is the only motor of the 2.2 and 2.4 families that had a non-counterbalanced crank. A good used crank will cost you $400+. Furthermore, the 2.2T and 2.4T P&C's were cast iron and not aluminum alloy (besides having low compressions ratios), so in almost all cases you will simply want to scrap your 2.2 P&C's and buy something else if you are looking for more power. Good 911E P&C's will run at least $7-800. Good 2.2S P&C's which are what everyone wants when rebuilding their stock E or S for more power will run at least $1,500-2000. I know because I just bought a set.
    So, when looking at rebuilding your 2.2T engine, you will need to machine your heads, buy other P&C's, and buy a counterbalanced crank - unless you are happy with 130hp.
    And we haven't even discussed the topic of cams...

Conclusion: If you are looking to make alot more power than what your 2.2T motor originally produced from the factory, many people find it more cost effective just to start with another motor such as a 2.4T which already has the counterbalanced crank, a larger displacement motor. And if it's a 7R case, a stronger housing to handle the greater stress of a higher output motor.

Very wise words Gruen911, now to heed the advice....

Many thanks for detailled explanations.

BTW, this engine is a spare engine I bought some years ago. At this time I do not have the use of it and I don't know if it is best way to sell it as shown on the picture or parting it ...

As you said heads are not similar to 2.2 S, I will probably sell it as it.

Hello: The T heads will give you the best flow when ported correctly. They will out perform the stock S heads everytime. Thanks Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric911S
    Hello: The T heads will give you the best flow when ported correctly. They will out perform the stock S heads everytime. Thanks Eric
    I guess the operating definition here would be "ported correctly". If you mean ported and bench flowed, well that would be a different matter. A person well versed in the dark art of bench flowing will also raise the rebuild price too.
    A few years ago when building my 2.0 motor to S+ spec, I used Dave Jarvis from Jarvis Tech in Ft Lauderdale to port, polish and bench flow my S heads. It cost an extra $1200 over the cost of the heads, but there was definitely a difference in performance. My engine had no flat spots down low (that could have been from the MSD Box too?), and had a very smooth acceleration from lower down in the rev range all the way up thru the 7,300. I had to swear to a few people who drove the car that it wasn't punched to a 2.2S.
    But porting, polishing and bench flowing can be done to any 911 head. Why not just start with an S head? The question here goes back to cost. Is it worth spending the money on a stock 2.2T motor - and stock T heads for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric911S
    I would like to know who ports them correctly, and what is the best diameter for the inlet port at the manifold flange for different displacements, induction systems and camshafts. Surely, someone has worked this out in detail, by now. Also, are the S and T exhaust ports the same?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

This is right around the time when someone like Steve Weiner should chime in with expert info...

Hello: There are different diameter ports that I use for different engines and there uses. Bigger is not always better! I set the heads up in a fixture I made and bore them in my mill. Then the blending of the ports and then flowing them. If you just port them by hand you will get heads that may flow worse then before porting. I have seen some major porting jobs that don't flow very well at all. They look pretty but don't flow. It also depends on what type of induction system you are using the heads for. What works for carbs is not the best for MFI. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric