Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Targa Vs Coupe valuation in Europe

In the long run Targas will be worth much more than coupes. The reasons are 1. they are rarer(they made less), 2. when they were new they cost more than coupes(Targas were the top of the line), 3. they costs more to restore, 4. they are the first open air 911, 5. Mark Donahue said that Targas handle better than coupes(guess it depends on how great a driver you are ). The 356 crowd for years said the same thing about their cars ( everyone wanted a coupe, they were lighter, less flexing, etc.) but 356 cabs are worth much more than 356 coupes now. One reason is they made less 356 cabs than 356 coupes, two 356 cab cost more than 356 coupes when they were new(cabs were the top of the line), and 356 cabs cost more to restore than 356 coupes(sounds familar doesn't it). Now some of this has to do with most 356 car guys are not trying to go to the track and race. They are driving their cars on Sunday when the sun is out, so they are now leisure vehicles, so you want the top down. Historically open air cars are always worth more than coupes, the only exception is the Mercedes 300SL gullwing vs cab, but that's because they made far fewer gullwings than cabs, so the gullwing was and is rarer. The bottom line is this if everything you guys say is true that Targas are worth 20% less than coupes now THEN YOU BETTER BUY A TARGA NOW, and yes I already got mine JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

My own experience confirms Nick and Karim's thoughts, that Classic coupes are more sought after than targas. Personally, I think it also applies to other cars such as the Dino for example.

On a similar note, I read the other day that 996 Targas only represented less than 10 percent (!) Of overall sales, so I guess tastes are changing...

However, I would imagine that even if the demand is lower, Classic Targas in good condition must be so rare, that those looking for them should be willing to pay a premium...

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Giaz,
    What a lovely T targa! Do you know if the color is Albert Blue?
    1971 911E Targa

All of you 911E owners, come join us at The 911E Registry at 911E.org

Quote Originally Posted by W Scott Shores
    Giaz,
    What a lovely T targa! Do you know if the color is Albert Blue?

It is. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.it/Porsche-911-T-220...QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is an Albert Blue too, a 911 2.2 S coupe...

2,4 E chartreuse targa of a friend,racing style,not usual in France but nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    #rennfrog

Quote Originally Posted by giaz
    It is. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.it/Porsche-911-T-220...QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is an Albert Blue too, a 911 2.2 S coupe...
    She looks great! So does the Albert Blue coupe ;-)
    1971 911E Targa

All of you 911E owners, come join us at The 911E Registry at 911E.org

The issue is one of beauty and the beast.. arguably the coupe is more beautiful....purer in many ways..and the Targa is a rust beast..they are generally even rustier than coupes...

But I agree that for cruising the targa is great.. but the coupe is better for hustling...and if its an E even better

Having had a targa and coupe version of a 72E is a tough call.. the coupe is more beautiful.....but the targa is pretty special too.

Quote Originally Posted by gymmoe
    In the long run Targas will be worth much more than coupes. The reasons are 1. they are rarer(they made less)... [snip]
    Rarity doesn't always translate into increased value. To extend the 356 analogy... There were far fewer Karmann hardtops (notchbacks) made than coupes, but notches typically sell for less than an equivalent era and condition coupe. They are simply a less desirable rendition of the 356, for which their rarity does not overcome.

OTOH, "When the top goes down (or opens or comes off), the price goes up..."
    Bill Leavitt
    Early 911S Registry #1083
    1969 S... when it left the factory

old softie67S

soft rear windows.

I owned a 73 sunroof coupe and loved it. It was a hotrod and lended itself to mofied suspension and lowering. I now have a 67S soft rear window. I wouldnt know if it leaks because it has the rear window zipped open and the top off all the time. It only come out in the sun. As much as I loved that coupe, there is nothing like the sound of the webers gulping air and the exhaust when the S motor comes on cam with that top off and the rear soft window down. I have never riden in a glass targa and can not comment on them, but the soft rear window, incredible
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Quote Originally Posted by Eade Hopkinson
    Here are the production numbers for both from 67-73.

'67- 1823 Coupes and 483 Targas, total- 2306
    '68- 1267 Coupes and 442 Targas, total- 1709
    '69- 1492 Coupes and 614 Targas, total- 2106
    '70- 1744 Coupes and 729 Targas, total- 2473
    '71- 1430 Coupes and 788 Targas, total- 2218
    '72- 1750 Coupes and 989 Targas, total- 2739
    '73- 1430 Coupes and 925 Targas, total- 2355

By far the rarest car would be the 68S Soft Window With only 442 made, and then all delivered in Europe, which was prone to RUST, makes them very very rare. There were less S coupes made in 73 than the RS coupes. Just some food food for thought.
    As the owner of an "australian delivered" rhd '73 911e targa,and knowing that this was the only year that rhd 911 targas where built and that only 36 / 91 that were delivered new into australia in all configurations (ie t,e,s : both manual/sporto).

i was wondering, if anybody knew, how many rhd 73 targa's were actually built in those configurations (with breakups) and sold worldwide.

is it possible, that the "rarest" targas, are infact, rhd '73 and not the '68 lhd soft window versions?

more food for thought.

http://www.911e.org/microsite.php?9113210699