Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your story?

Smile Whats your story?

When my dad was a GI posted in Germany back in the early 60’S, he traded some cartons of cigarettes, for a old speedster, he drove it to Stuttgart, and had the factory restore it. He later sold it and purchased an Austin Healey 3000. He told me that he got into a race with a 911 one day “ that 911 whipped my ass so bad I drove that Healey right to the Porsche dealer in Nurnberg, and bought a new 911S” . That was in 1969, I was six years old. I guess that was the start of a long obsession with me. My first was a silver 77 924, Stop laughing! I loved that car. I got it about the same time Risky Business came out, saw it 3 times….man, I was Tom Cruise.

Me at about 5 years old.

Name:  CCF08082008_00000.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  156.8 KB
    Last edited by super9064; 02-02-2014 at 05:05 AM.
    Rob Abbott

Great story! And quite a collection you have there. My folks had a '53 (?) 356 when I was born and I've been around these cars ever since.
    1971 911E Targa

All of you 911E owners, come join us at The 911E Registry at 911E.org

I might have mentioned this before... but here goes again,

I think the first time I saw people REALLY having fun and going fast in 911's was at the '68 Santa Barbara Road Races... Guys like Milt Minter, Alan Johnson, Scooter Patrick, all driving C/Production 911's swapping paint and having a ball... really, I could see their smiles through their open face helmets...

About 3 years later my friend Hector was doing some testing out at Willow in his B/Sedan 1600 Alfa GTA (later to become a 1300 C/Sedan)... Our friend Tom met us at the track in the morning to help, he had driven up from Pasadena in his '69 maroon 911S, and left it parked the pits.... Around lunch time Tom volunteered to go get sandwiches and I went with him. Mind you his 911 had been just sitting there all morning... he lights it up and explains that it has the stock 2 liter motor, a 'short gear box', and a Bursch exhaust... it was pretty loud. We leave the track and turn East towards the little liquor store about 2 miles away... and he HAMMERS it... all the way through the gears, foot to the floor, all the way to the store... and my guts are somewhere in the back seat... We get the sandwiches and do the exact same thing on the way back...
    At this point my little 22 year old brain registers three things...

One, this is the fastest small sports car I'd ever been in...
    Two, this street car is a bunch faster then the race car we were testing and trailered to the track...
    And three, Tom had driven this rocket from home and is going to drive it back...this is his street car...

This short experience subliminally stuck with me for about the next 16 years when I started my search for my own rocket... about 2 years later in '89 I bought my '73...

... and so it goes
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

My older brother (by 13 years) was with his new wife at Seneca Park in Louisville, probably 1970. He heard the wail we all know, looked up and saw a yellow 911 rounding a turn, inside tire a couple inches off the ground. At that moment, he says, he knew he had to make more money. He is on his fourth 911. I am currently on my...?. He did it to me. He also blames Steve McQueen.
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

I cut my (road) racing teeth at...

Wilmot Hills Road Racing Course...a sports car racing track set on the grounds of what is now the Wilmot Mountain ski area, just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin border in Wilmot, Wisconsin.

The track was active from 1953 to 1967. It was very short- 7/10ths to 1 mile long, according to different accounts. But as one of the first purpose-built road courses in the midwest, it was very heavily used, the scene of many driver schools, club races and other track events during its lifetime.

A family friend - A Corvette & Porsche racer who eventually sponsored me into the SCCA - first took me there in 1965. Fond memories include watching Horst Kwech and Ed Wachs clobber everyone in their U2L Alfa GTAs!! Another was watching this gorgeous monoposto - same event. All this said...I'm not sure how the "Porsche thing" first happened...I just know I got the Stuttgart bug early...possibly from watching 356s, 550s, and 904s run everything over...and then, in '67 the 911 showed up on course...things really haven't been the same since, have they?.

btw - these photos are from somebody's website detailing the history of Wilmot - I just happened to remember seeing these cars!! At the ripe old age of 11 or 12, they were sure larger than life!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I basically grew up in the back seat of a 911. I was born in 1970, the year my dad bought his first 911. He had three consecutive 911's (bought new from the dealer); a 1970 T coupe, a '72 T targa, and then a '77 S targa. He sold the last one in 1986, shortly after I tunred 16. I was already a good mechanic by then and had come to appreciate the build quality and engineering of the Porsches (not to mention the looks, sound, and performance), so the first car I ever bought myself (senior year in high school) was a 1961 356 Karman notchback coupe with a 1720cc 912 motor and special order condor yelow paint. That was a great car and the beginning of an obsession. Love these cars and have a heck of a lot of fun tinkering and playing with them.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

My brother and I have been into cars since forever, and a close family friend flipped Porsches and BMWs before it was a sport. Some were gray market, still more were delivered at the factory and later sold back home to pay for the trip and the weeks of touring Europe. He knew what he was doing and each car was typically held a year or two. When I was hardly a teenager, he picked me up at SFO in his 912E (which he still owns) and we drove out to Walnut Creek... I couldn't have had more fun if it was one of his turbos! Incidentally, his son now sells Porsches here in Seattle.

The thing about 911s for me has always been the design and how it is simply gorgeous from every angle. It looks like nothing else and perfectly so. The engineering, motorsport prowess, driving character... all those things that round out our fascination were either unknown in my formative years, or unimportant relative to the lines of this car. I still can't get over it.

Thanks for asking, great thread potential!
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My father (caproader on here) had a 73 T CIS when I was born (1982). My parents were divorced shortly there after and every summer I would come up north (to Ohio from Florida) to spend time with him. Inevidibly we would spend hours in the garage working on the cars, bleeding brakes, waxing, timing the engine, etc. As I grew older he let me drive the cars. I can still remember when and where he first let me drive. I took my now wife out on our first date in a 1973 T Coupe (I quote Batman: "It's the car. Chicks dig the car.") and now pops and I do 1 or 2 DE's a year together. It's our father son bonding time that goes back to a time when we only got to see each other some 8 weeks a year.

obsession

I grew up in a small town in Virginia. My father is an engineer, a car to him was something that went from point A to B and did not break. We had a '72 standard beetle (robin egg blue)...it was my Porsche...I loved working on that car and spent ours in junk yards upgrading it and adding bits and pieces

There was this guy in my town who used to have all of these really cool Porsches (note: small VA town usually does not = many Porsches). This guy had all kinds of Porsches.

In particular he had this green 911 turbo with body color fuch's and the coolest whale tail ever!!!. Sometimes in the summer when we were out riding bikes, we would hear this car in the distance as the driver was heading to the country club....for some reason, we could always guess when he was in the turbo as opposed to a 356 or something else. We would race our bikes to the end of our cul-de-sac to see it go screeming past. Sometimes we would then head to the country club to check it out in the parking lot as the owner played golf. The sound of that car going screeming past us as we watched from our bikes is as fresh in my mind today as it was some 30 years ago.

I found out a little later that this guy had a Porsche shop in town and I used to ride my bike down to the shop on Saturdays when they were closed and check out some of the cars that were left outside..usually not many and sometimes I would get skunked and no cars would be outside...but it was always worth the risk.

I grew up in Waynesboro VA and the guy I used to see screaming around town is a guy named Weldon Scrogham (G&W Motorwerkes and Synergy Racing fame).

I did not realize until I was an adult who Weldon was and just how lucky I was to see all those really cool Porsches screaming around the little town where I grew up.

As such, I blame Weldon for my complete addiction to these cars...actually I thank him.

Well, here goes!
    My love of all sportscars began when I was 6. My uncle came over and took me out for a rip in his then new 59 Mercedes 300SL (silver/red). We then proceded to go to Watkins Glen where he raced it (I have the reel to reel movies stashed away). Throughout grade and highschool my mind was occupied drawing sportscars, Canam cars, vintage racecars and always what I now realize was the 911. My first sportscar was a 64 TR4 IRS with a hot factory cam. Next came a 59 MGA twin cam. My dad had a Bugatti open wheeler in mint condition that somebody stuffed a 4 cylinder ford engine into. He sold his 49 MG TC to buy our property in Canada and move. I eventually ended up building Harleys (3)and custom painting them. Then advanced into Corvettes (3) but all the time I was doodling pictures of 911's. Finally my chance came and I traded a spa for my 71T. Even though I learned the hard way ($$$) on how to enter into 911 ownership I'll never let go of this car.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330