Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Whats your story?

Frank- Great to read your story. Fun to see our overlaps: Colorado, Denver, Aspen track. Worked for Grady when Ibbotson took delivery of his all black S and had the pleasure to see Reventlow's RSR.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

In 1966 I was 16 years old and our family bought a 66 Squareback VW. I learned to drive on that car. My dad let me put a glass pack on the exhaust and I was racing all the VW bugs around town and winning most of the time because my VW had a bigger engine and dual carbs. The first 911 I saw was a 65 or 66 silver driven by Barry Hilton. Yes Conrad Hilton's grandson. I loved that car the minute I first saw it. Then Barry Hilton put 6" American Racing Thrust D wheels on it and a sport exhaust on it and I was hooked. My Dad got wind of my obsession and offered me a trip to Germany and pick up a 67 911, drive it around Europe for a week or so, bring it back and sell it for a profit. People were making $1000 on these sales.The problem was I could not bear to bring it home and give it up. I declined the offer ( stupid ) I should have done it. Other priorities took over and never saved money to buy one on my own until i was 48 years old. The love for the car never really left. Lucky that my first Porsche is a 1970 911S (my favorite year ) I also love the looks of the original 67 911S. Its been a fun ride Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Time for 'nother bümp . . .

We Can Be Heroes

My Mother was a "car girl" when I was a kid. She had a 1963 Jaguar XKE coupe that I would sit in the driveway with paper & pencil & draw from many different angles... Many different times. I got a go kart as a gift & used to imagine it was that XKE. As the years moved along cars were always in the picture. I drove around my town commonly at 13, 14 in whatever we had. Could not get enough of it. Got my 1st car (paid for it myself) and ran with it. It was a '73 Audi 100LS sunroof coupe. I thought it was the finest car on the planet. Mother detailed it to nearly new. I beamed with pride. A string of MGB's came next with loads of Autocrossing. I was modifying & painting them in my home garage to flip so I could afford the next one. Musclecars made their appearance ~ and the reams of associated speeding tickets followed. But I had a thing for turning left & right... So a 914 2.0 came into the fold. That lead to a 911 S/C Targa, then an S/C Coupe which I luved on for 200k miles & nine wonderful years. Rebuilding the engine once and the transmission many times. 356 to 930, 964 turbo to 993. 912 full resto, 944 in racecar form (another in street trim), 2.7 mid-year, 3.2 Carrera, more 930 boost and another longhood with hotrod mods. They have come & some have gone. But to this day, nothing makes me feel just a little bit more alive then I do when I am sliding behind the wheel of a early 911. No radio, no climate control. Just man & machine, and the remarkable thrill of driving a truly exceptional car. Happy holidays.

Nice story Michael....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

1967. Young infantry officer with no money bought a 62 356 S90 owned by the foreman at Mahag in downtown Munich..he had been a factory mechanic on the early 60s F1 team. Commenced to ruining it as you might expect a 20 year old would do. Left it in the hands of my wife and a friend who finished ruining it while I spent a year in RVN. But, I was hooked and wound up replacing it with a 68 912 and numerous models thereafter.....a terminal affliction. I still have the wife...wish I could say the same for the car

What wonderful stories.
    The first word I ever spoke according to my mother was CAR. Mum and Dad came after.
    Dad was a car guy but mostly Fords and Vauxhalls.
    In my very skint youth Fords were my only choice of weapon.
    Then back in 1992 a very good mate offered me a drive. No he made me drive his 89 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Diamond Blue Metallic.
    I really was not interested as they were suffering badly from the yuppy car image.
    London stock brokers.
    I was gone for 45 minutes.
    I had never driven anything that gave you such a tactile experience and I bought an 88 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe in guards red with black leather piped red two months later.
    Early 1993 my same mate took me to watch a round of Porsche club racing.
    That was it. I sold my cherished 3.2 and bought a race ready Super Sport.
    The rest is history.
    I have been racing 911's since then on and off. Mostly off in truth.
    One has to cut his suit according to the cloth he can afford.
    Whilst I love my 911's I am not a one make car guy.
    I own an eclectic mix of vehicles.
    That said with five Porsches I slew the numbers in favour of the mark
    early S registry # 2596

I started liking sportscars very early [I think due to Speed Racer] and as i grew up, motorcycles and old VWs caught my and my older Brother Frank's eyes. My younger Brother Daniel always seemed less interested in cars but Frank and I don't trust anyone to do our oil changes..

My older Brother Frank is a great mechanic and his first resto of a Black oval window'd Beetle was really kool, when he did a Datsun 240Z at age 17, [I was 15] I remember being in love with that wooden steering wheel.

Right after College I recall wanting a 911 so bad i could taste it. It took six years [1998] to get into a nice 3.2.

This thread made me realize that the car I really remember wanting first is the Porsche 356.

That may be the next project.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

1967. Kitzingen, Germany. My dad was a car nut but both parents had heard too many stories of young officers killing themselves in Porsches on the Autobahns. Besides, as an Army family with three kids, a new Porsche was about a year's salary. So we had a Volkswagon bug, followed by a new 1969 Karman Ghia my parents picked up from the factory in Wolfsburg. I loved that car, and 7 years later was old enough to drive in it. I learned to work on cars on that car, and when I was in college, bought a 68 bug for me, and a year later, a wrecked 72 Super beetle for my girlfriend. First time I met my wife, I was crawling out from under that 68 bug. I spent many hours at the Auto Craft Shop at Fort Sam Houston doing engine rebuilds and paint/body work on those cars as well as other friends and family VWs. I dumped the bugs, but kept the girlfriend when I graduated, went into the Army, and we were stationed in Germany in 1982. I was very attracted to Porsches, but knew NOTHING about them. The next year I found a 70 911S that was in such bad (rusty) condition, it was in my price range as a new LT. So back to the craft shop (Augsburg, Germany) and a local garage, where I helped with the metal work. I was able to get it in pretty nice shape, and used it as a daily driver for 15 years. I still have the car, still have the girlfriend, and thanks to friends in many PCA regions across the country, have learned a little more about Porsches
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Growing up in the 70's my father had a Irish Green 1965 911 and a Osi Blue 1966 912. I fondly remember riding in both of them. The 912 was such a rust bucket that the front trunk would pop open when he hit a good sized bump and we would have to pull over so he could shut that latch. He ended up selling the 912 for parts in the late 70's. I ended up driving the 65 911 in high school in the late eighties. The original owner of the 65 (my dad was the second owner) raced it out at Raceway park in CA in the late 60's so it had full harnesses and fuchs on it. Had the original 2L but was running zenith carbs and those ugly Ansa four tip exhaust. I still remember the chassis number on it: 300423. I remember saying to my dad that this car will be worth money some day, it's the 423rd 911 ever built. We sold it in 1995 for $2200. The car that should never have been sold. I bought a 1980 911SC in 2000 and had a couple of 944 Turbos after that. Dad and my uncle were out at the Arizona auctions in 2009 and there were two Irish Green 911's on the block. A 69S and a 67S. He called me and said they were solid cars (not spectacular by any means). He thought the 69 was the better car and up first. He had to catch a flight back but said I should bid on them since I had remorse about us getting rid of the 65. Plan was to bid on the 69 to "X" amount and then if that didn't pan out, try my luck with the 67. Bid over the phone and won the 69. Still have the car, extremely solid rust free car that had an amateur engine rebuild done to it. Ended up rebuilding the motor again and it is now just getting back on the road. Added a 65 356 SC last year that was too good of a deal to pass up (that is a second owner car). That's my Porsche Story.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757