Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Willow April 17...CONFIRMED

Rut Roh! Fun's over...now back to your regular programming.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

serious time!

Yeah, you pervs. Fun time is over.
    Bowl, CW, that's the way I like it.
    Seriously.
    And mine is a MINI Cooper with the JCW.

(I've got a line on a pink helmet)

....yeah, I know.

Like I said, a mini cooper.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Seeing most sanctioned clubs run the Streets in either direction...
    Why not run the track CW till noon and CCW after...

The track is great either way ... given a choice I actually prefer it CCW...

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

eyes on the road

Quote Originally Posted by RSupdate
    This is just a "for-fun" type of track day thing....nothing more, so let's just try to keep everything in perspective here.
    Scott, We will be doing the entire track, including the Bowl..We want to use the maximum track layout. As others have suggested, the first part of the day can be CW, the last half CCW. Or visa/versa. Whatever the group decides.

If anyone has access to 15-20 cones, please try to bring them...At the photo shoot some drivers were making their own track layout..on purpose,or mistake. I was one of them...NO shortcuts on the track.

As a final note..We have a deposit on the track. Insurance for our bodies is included..We even get use of the garage. Fire/EMS has been booked along with the mandatory corner workers, with radios. Three (3) corner workers are hired, using Willows guideline..(1) at the start/finish (2) midway and the third to monitor the Bowl.

Although EXTREMELY UNLIKELY due to the number of cars, SMALL groups, safety measures taken, gaps between the cars on the track, and maturity of the drivers, it has to be said..each driver is responsible for his own car..whether he/she gets hit, or causes the hitting. Pretty sure that it is the standard track rules??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by RSupdate
    ....yeah, I know.
    Like I said, a mini cooper.
    sheezer Johnny, mini buzz kill..

all spots taken

Just want to say thanks to everyone who is coming. We have all the spots filled...Actually, over the number of drivers we were asking for. We have 20plus drivers. The cars will be the Early 911's, Mini-Coopers, 996's, 997's, and a '07 BMW M6

IF your plans change and you want to go, let me know..If anyone has to cancel, we can go to the waiting list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Ray,
    Thanks for the effort in setting this track day up. Even though this is to be a fun event and all, we should really have a formal drivers meeting going over the basics for everyone, track passing rules, flags, how to enter and exit the track and checking mirrors in the right places. Perhaps a list of those who are going along with their experience in regards to track events, autox, DE's and the like would be helpful. Just a few thoughts. Again thanks for setting up the day and I look forward to having lots of track time with everyone.
    Dan Byers
    71T targa - "Stay Puff"
    EarlyS Member #608

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Dan's absolutely right. And I'll chime in because I'm nosey and just spent a great weekend at Streets with the PCA two days ago. Let me gently suggest...

1.) 25 minute run groups. For street tires, before lunch, you'll barely get to 25 minutes before your tires begin to go. After lunch, depending on the air temp, you may not even get 15 minutes before they get greasy. (For newbies with early 911's, you'll be surprised at how four 25 minute run sessions with manual steering is a very full day of driving.)

2.) Cones. Two dozen? More? The bigger the better, especially for marking the wheel-breaking holes in a few of the curbs. (Supposedly to be fixed some time "soon.") At least six for the curve above where you won't be using the carousel turn as you head to the bowl. Maybe another six for the chicane which has some curb issues. One for every apex. For the exit of the bowl. Maybe even the edge of the skid pad?

3.) A large track map. 2' x 3' is best. Video playback isn't nearly as effective for first timers as a map where you can run your finger through the turns to point out where you should be and where you shouldn't be.

HAVE FUN! BE SAFE! GO FAST! I'm jealous.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Gburner
    It's Ray's track and I know some of the guys just want to lap around with out
    fear of being dive bombed, or distracted by someone in their mirrors, or be concerned about someone ahead throwing dirt on the track.

First thing in the morning when the track is cold, car's and brains cold we should do some slow ducks in the row. Find the line do some reconnaissance, find the curbs, the rough spots, pot holes or drop offs to avoid.
    Though out the day maybe a few of us with previous track experience can offer rides/instruction to the first timers. PCA AX/DE/TT instructor.
    My car has an instructor's two way communication (chatterbox) system, rider's welcome in my right seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images