Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Willow April 17...CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner
    Yeah that's a great idea, night before the event coordinate a host hotel and place to meet for dinner.
    Sometimes after an event we'll meet at a very nice Mexican place 2 miles from the track, might be fun.
    Untill I can find a way out I'm scheduled to work in San Diego Monday eve till 11pm , so I'll catch up at the track.
    I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express, big lot for parking the trailer, rooms were okay also. Many places to eat that night, I will be there on Monday, probably around 6:00Pm.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

No overnight stay for me. Ill do it as a day trip from Santa Barbara. Can do dinner after the track for sure. What ever the group is up for.
    Dan Byers
    71T targa - "Stay Puff"
    EarlyS Member #608

over night

As of now, I will not be able to spend Monday night at the Holiday Inn Express. I do believe its a great idea to come up the night before, drive a short distance to the track. It will be a LONG day. Fun, but long. I am not looking forward to the drive in the morning. If my plans change, I will post. Those who are staying, please post.

Another idea from the last time is to meet for breakfast? Lars and I met Eade and Sam close to the Holiday Inn Express, Carrow's restaurant, if I remember correctly? We can meet up, introduce ourselves, give more class room time to the first timers.

After the track, Will S. knows a GREAT Italian restaurant. If we want Mexican, thats great also..Group decision.

BTW: I recieved checks from the majority of the drivers. Those who have expressed interest, asked for my mailing address, please send in the money. I would like to have everything paid for, well in advance of the 17th. It gives us a better head count also.
    Those I have spoken to, who cannot commit at this time due to work schedule, no worries. When you show, you pay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Quote Originally Posted by RC70SCoupe
    As of now, I will not be able to spend Monday night at the Holiday Inn Express. I do believe its a great idea to come up the night before, drive a short distance to the track. It will be a LONG day. Fun, but long. I am not looking forward to the drive in the morning. If my plans change, I will post. Those who are staying, please post.

Another idea from the last time is to meet for breakfast? Lars and I met Eade and Sam close to the Holiday Inn Express, Carrow's restaurant, if I remember correctly? We can meet up, introduce ourselves, give more class room time to the first timers.

After the track, Will S. knows a GREAT Italian restaurant. If we want Mexican, thats great also..Group decision.

BTW: I recieved checks from the majority of the drivers. Those who have expressed interest, asked for my mailing address, please send in the money. I would like to have everything paid for, well in advance of the 17th. It gives us a better head count also.
    Those I have spoken to, who cannot commit at this time due to work schedule, no worries. When you show, you pay.
    Will, what is the name of the Italian Restaurant??? I may go on Monday night
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Is that the Holiday Inn in Lancaster? Looks like rooms are $137.
    The thing about the Mexican restaraunt the night before is that I will be hung over the next day, as I can not say no to tequila.
    So I vote for Mexican!

Quote Originally Posted by Victoriabb
    Is that the Holiday Inn in Lancaster? Looks like rooms are $137.
    The thing about the Mexican restaraunt the night before is that I will be hung over the next day, as I can not say no to tequila.
    So I vote for Mexican!
    Yes, the Holiday Inn Express in Lancaster.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Gburner
    Never stayed at the Holiday Inn but the Essex House Hotel & Convention Center -is located at 44916 North 10th Street West, Lancaster, CA 93534.
    I expect their rates my be better than $137. They have an attached bar with a lot of POC/Willow race photos, sometimes happy hour afternoons and free breckfast. Parking for trailers.

I've stayed many times at the Inn of Lancaster -44131 Sierra Highway, Lancaster, CA 93534. Parking for trailers. There is bar/club next door and room rates last time were in the $60/$70 range with AAA/PCA discount. At either ask for a discount.

Thumbs up

Man, I’m gon’a try like hell to make this event… the Mouse has me on’a pretty tight leash during the week…

Ray said it was OK for me to add some advice......

OK… we’re about a month out from this event and there’ll be some people coming that have never been on this track, or any track before…… So maybe just some simple common sense stuff for both you and your car that a lot of us have learned and taught threw the years …

For you…

- Willow Springs is in the high desert and the weather can be extreme… Bring jackets, and dress in layers. Bring water, and sun screen….

- You already know about a helmet … Make sure that the one you buy or barrow fits well…

- No reason we shouldn’t follow the POC’s clothing rules for “short track’ school. While you’re on the track (driving or passenger) NO shorts, NO open toe shoes, and wear a long sleeve cotton shirt... (Long sleeve T-shirts and leather tennies are great)

- The corner workers will probably want us to keep both our windows down while on the track (a good idea anyway) … see dress in layers.

- For those who like to recline back in your seat to drive, try either moving the seat back up one click or the whole seat one notch forward, or both……. After thinking back to our own experience, and teaching for awhile, you realize EVERYONE starts ‘choking-up’ on the steering wheel lifting their backs off the seat when they start to go fast… The theory is if you’re already a little closer to the wheel you won’t lift up and out as much… The fact is, you shouldn’t be leaned back that far and the new closer position is where you should be in the first place…

- Once you get to the track you should drive your car safely around the pits with your helmet on … this might be the first time you have ever driven your car without hearing it well… the experience is worth it before you get on the track…

For your car…

- Make sure your tires are in GOOD shape with plenty of thread… If your tires are almost bald when you get to the track you’ll be on the cords on the way home… ask me how I know...

- Make sure that your brake pads are OK … If they are almost gone when you get to the track you’ll be grinding the rotors half way through the day… ask me how I know...

- Make sure your brake lights work… very important for the person in back of you…

- Make sure your seat belts are in good shape and working properly…

- Make sure you fill up your tank before you get to the track… our thirsty old 911’s will go through a tank of gas through the day, if you’re already full you don’t have to go five miles back to the freeway, or buy race gas at $6.00 a gal., plus our old cars handle better with a tank of gas…

- Make sure you remove all loose items from your car before you go out on the track…ask me how I know...

All this stuff will seem just like breathing after a couple of times……. No problem...

You’re going to the track to HAVE FUN … and to learn to drive your car more confidently… and to go fast WITH PERMISION in a pretty safe environment…

Cheers, and I how hope I can make it……
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I have a standard Tech Inspection Form used by most event orgs. I have it as a word doc (.doc) that I could email to any one in need. It covers the basics like Chuck mentioned along with a few other items. Your local shop should be willing to go over your car for a Pre-Event Tech for a small cost.
    Also WSIR really has no food area. Your best to pack a cooler full of snacks and goodies that also includes plenty of water. Dehydration leads to mental mistakes very quickly. We can add to this thread what to bring for first timers but having something to sit on is HUGE. There is a good list on Pelican that we could post here for a complete list.
    Really looking forward to the day and meeting eveyone.

Chuck, I hope you can make it.
    Dan Byers
    71T targa - "Stay Puff"
    EarlyS Member #608

Gburner
    Can anyone bring a hot lap timer transmitter?
    I'm not going for TTOD (top time of day) but for the sake of improvement it would be nice to know our lap times.
    FYI this is a hot lap timer, cheap little unit mounts quickly in your car and displays your lap times.
    To operate it just needs a transmitter sitting on the side of the track.
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/hotlap.htm

Hey where are some of the other R Gruppe track players?
    TRE an R Gruppe track no show?
    Jack Olson? Word is he'll go to any track event if it's comp'ed.
    At any rate we'll party in slow correction SLO.
    Attached Images Attached Images