Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: European police Targas

European police Targas

Does anyone know why police forces in some European countries (Germany, Holland, Belgium) used 911s in the sixties/seventies and why Targa specifically? I have heard one comment that it was because the car goes much faster in reverse than any other car at the time? anyone have any more background on this? just curious. Also, does anyone on the forum actually own one of these cars?
    Steven

Steven,
    The reason Targa's were used is because the co-pilot could, in case of an emergency, stand on his seat, turn himself backwards to the oncoming traffic and at the same time he could get a hold on the Targa roll over bar. The copilot could then wave or signal oncoming traffic while the driver could continue driving. It was looked upon as a safety measure for the copilot as well as for the traffic coming from behind.

That Porsche's did go much faster backwards than any other car, is a fantasy, and not correct. What is ture though, and that is the reason why most police forces did use Porsche's at the time (as fast intervening vehicles) is that they can drive very long streches of roads in reverse.
    Reason being the engine in the back and essentially because the engine is aircooled with the ventilation fan (forced ventilation). Therefore these engines did not suffer overheating when driven in reverse.

In Belgium the Gendarmerie did receive its first batch of Porsche's in 1972. As always we Belgian's did things differently and our government did order coupe's. We were the only contry in the world to have coupe's. As these cars did not rest, one team coming into the station at the end of their shift and giving the car to the next team without turning it off (at least that is how the legend goes) they did lots and lots of km's untill they were completly worn out.
    By 1976 the Gendarmerie did receive their first batch of Targa's. A deal between the Gendarmerie, D'Ieteren (the Belgian Porsche importer) and the Porsche factory was concluded. The Porsche factory did still have 30 RS (210 bhp type 911/83) engines. As the Gendarmerie did want cars that didn't look too extreme they did order the small body Targa's (like the normal 911's and not the Carrera rear wheel arch widened cars). So 30 small body 911 Targa's were build by the factory with the 911/83 RS engine.
    Two of these cars are believed to be still in existence. One in the D'Ieteren gallery in Brussels (I doubt though that this car is roadworthy, but could eaily be made so) and the second one being mine.
    This car still has all the period Gendarmerie "goodies" (horn, lights, radio etc...). This car was restored about 10 years ago and is in ful working condition.

By 1979 the third batch of 911's for the Gendarmerie was ordered. These being SC Targa's, and therefore did have the wider Carrera body.

I do know that in Holland they did use 911's before us. And did have cars with the folding Targa window. I am not sure if they still do have 911's for the Police, although I am sure that they still had 964 type of Cabrio Police cars.

It would be very interesting to hear the stories from a Dutch member, as well as from a German member.

Best regards,

PS: The B&W pictures are period (1976), the color ones are of my car. Note the originality of the police 'goodies' even the radio has been sourced.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Here are some pictures of the 1972 car.

These are pictures of the last series of the Belgian Gendarmerie (911 SC).

Belgian

Quote Originally Posted by xenifizi
    These are pictures of the last series of the Belgian Gendarmerie (911 SC).
    Being Belgian myself I find the info real interesting thanks! I guess you're not allowed to drive that unique 911 on the public roads, or are you?
    Another comment I once read is that these 911s were preferred because with the (relatively wide) doors open they could park the car in the middle lane and stop "spookrijders" on the highway.

I've never heard this story. It might be true.

The car can be driven on public roads, I suppose as long as all Police references are hidden (that is no blue light, no visible decals etc...).
    All the best,

This is an preserved original from Sweden.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I do know that in Holland they did use 911's before us. And did have cars with the folding Targa window. I am not sure if they still do have 911's for the Police, although I am sure that they still had 964 type of Cabrio Police cars.

It would be very interesting to hear the stories from a Dutch member, as well as from a German member.

Try www.politiemuseum.nl and search for "porsche", you'll find lots of images and other material on the dutch fleet of porsches.

Attachment 30032softwindow indeed

Steven,

This is what I mean when said that the codriver could stand on his seat.
    Picture of the Dutch Police also a 1976 Targa.