Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European police Targas

re - Kop Kars

This is great stuff !!
    Each country has its own little treasure trove of stories to tell !
    There is a pic of a '68 Sporto Police Targa on p23 of Raby's Porsche (mis)Identification Guide showing two rear facing lights - presumably blue - a rear wiper and two blue flashing lights on the Targa bar.
    I am confused however as to its homeland.
    Plates are BG 3.326 with no country indicator and the lettering on the car is Gendarmarie.
    Raby has labelled the pic as an Austrian car but he has also mis labelled far too many other pics in his "identification guide".
    I am not an expert but it looks Belgian to me !
    Where would this Kop Kar be going to ?

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Dennis,
    Would it be possible to make a scan of this picture. I do not seem to find this book in my library. Maybe you could be more specific on its title, author or maybe publisher. I would love to try and help.
    Thanks and all the best,
    from Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908
    This is great stuff !!
    Each country has its own little treasure trove of stories to tell !
    There is a pic of a '68 Sporto Police Targa on p23 of Raby's Porsche (mis)Identification Guide showing two rear facing lights - presumably blue - a rear wiper and two blue flashing lights on the Targa bar.
    I am confused however as to its homeland.
    Plates are BG 3.326 with no country indicator and the lettering on the car is Gendarmarie.
    Raby has labelled the pic as an Austrian car but he has also mis labelled far too many other pics in his "identification guide".
    I am not an expert but it looks Belgian to me !
    Where would this Kop Kar be going to ?

Cheers,
    Dennis.

Steven,
    I know I said that the story of the reverse speed was one of the criteria to deceid on the 911, was a fantasy. I have to correct myself as I did find out only today that this might have been one of the reasons to deceide to buy the Porsche 911 for the Gendarmerie/Rijkswacht.
    Sorry about that.
    All the best.

Ouch!

Wonder what happened...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Standing codriver

Codriver standing.

Sorry I can't scan the pic as I am somewhat computer challenged
    There are two pics of the same car -
    Porsche 911 Identification Guide - Ian Raby- page 23 - Herridge & sons
    Porsche 911 the Definitive history - Brian Long - 1963 to 1971 - page 93 - Veloce publ.
    Must come to terms with this computer thingy oneday !

TIA
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

I thought the early police-Porsches used here in the Netherlands were actually both 911s and 912s. I even think the very latest 912s (not the 912E series of '76 but the old ones) were delivered to the Dutch Police.

Then I also found these pictures (with text) on a Dutch webpage, displaying an imported car:

Text:
    Originally built by Porsche as part of a Dutch order of Police cars (last in the batch) but intended to come to the USA as a show car where it was shown at Washington D.C., New York, New Haven and Chicago auto shows. Porsche of America also used the Polizei Targa to pace at least one race, the 1968 US Road Racing Championship at Bridgehampton, New York. After 35 years on the West Coast, the Polizei Targa is back on Long Island. In February of 1969 the Porsche was purchased by Bill Yates of Bill Yates Porsche. From what I have learned, the Targa was used as a display at his dealership and may have paced some races on the West Coast as well. At one point Bill Yates Racing Service was painted on each front fender. In the right light you can still see the ghost of the lettering. Mr. Yates kept the car along with his 550 after his dealership closed during the 80's until his death in 1996.

Today Polizei remains in very good original condition covering under 9,000 miles since new. This Polizei is the only Polizei car ever built by Porsche that was not put into service and sold to a private individual. It is also the only Polizei car to be officially sent to the USA and the only Polizei Show car. Another oddity is the use of Dutch colors of orange and ivory with the German "Polizei" lettering. The German police cars were typically done in green and ivory. This Porsche makes people smile whenever they see it. It is a real laugh/blast to drive. Was part of the PCA 50th Historic Display.

Dennis,
    I finally did find the picture that you are referring too. It is definitly not a Belgian Police car (this is no belgian licence plate). I suppose that it is either Austrian or Swiss. I tend more to the Austiran Police force. Maybe some Austrian member could shed some light on this.

All the best,

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908
    Sorry I can't scan the pic as I am somewhat computer challenged
    There are two pics of the same car -
    Porsche 911 Identification Guide - Ian Raby- page 23 - Herridge & sons
    Porsche 911 the Definitive history - Brian Long - 1963 to 1971 - page 93 - Veloce publ.
    Must come to terms with this computer thingy oneday !

TIA
    Dennis.

Not a Targa...but yikes!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100