Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: question re mfi please

Kenikh,the car I am talking about putting this motor in is a 71t,does that make a difference?Marty

I believe that you will have this problem with a T that was originally carbureted, but running a hard fuel line is not enough to make me worry.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Here is a choice;

Install the 2.2E in your ‘70S and get the MFI working. There is more than just a few minutes to this. You will learn CMA and extensions very well.

After you are convinced the 2.2E and MFI are working correctly, sell the carburetors. Start looking for a complete 2.2S MFI. Unless you know the S is in top shape (known recent rebuild) you will want to do a complete maintenance rebuild just for safety.

This allows you to keep driving (and tinkering) while the S goes together.

Best,
    Grady

Quote Originally Posted by martin aide
    I'm not sure how to take that but maybe I should explain why I asked the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin aide
    so would a 2.2E with mfi feel as fast as an s with carbs

Sorry Marty . I thought that was a tongue in cheek jibe back to the whole "E faster to 100 than S" thread. Figured you for an E man and I was replying tongue in cheek since I have an S. No offense intended. I'll shut up now.

Cheers,
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Marty, which car is in better shape mechanically, rust and paint? You also didn't mention whether the motor in the 70S is number matching. If this is the case, I'd find the MFI for the S first. Keep that, put the E motor in the T, sell that and then sell the carbs. Unless the S is a real crab. THen hot rod the hell out of the T with the E motor MFI and sell the rest.

There, a semi lucid, semi constructive reply.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    Marty, which car is in better shape mechanically, rust and paint? You also didn't mention whether the motor in the 70S is number matching. If this is the case, I'd find the MFI for the S first. Keep that, put the E motor in the T, sell that and then sell the carbs. Unless the S is a real crab. THen hot rod the hell out of the T with the E motor MFI and sell the rest.

There, a semi lucid, semi constructive reply.
    The S is in better shape right now as I can drive it(if it wasn't still winter up here)it is # matching but thats where it ends as a PO has added huge flares to it and rs style front bumper and painted all the trim black(I know all this can be reversed but ....)the good is the car is mechanically solid,body is solid,and interior is very nice with perfect recaros,although without bases,and no cracks in the dash.The underbody has had a bit of work done to it but it is fine now.The T on the other hand has more potential body wise as it could be perfect,I rescued it from a guy who was "updating "it with fenders and bumpers from a 75,I do have the fenders and an S spoiler.It also has sport seats but with bases and what look like real RS flares,I also have a set of 7 and 8 inch fuchs that I would put on and it comes with new carpet and bags of new rubbers from PO,again the dash is perfect as well as door panels but the car has been sitting for 20 years so mechanically it probably needs everything,hence the reason for the E motor which he had been planning to put in,the motor in it turns but the zenith carbs are siezed solid,it is red now but the windows are out and the chrome is perfect so a perfect opp to change back to the original colour which is the same blue as the silvery blue car that keeps popping up on the home page(did I say I love that car)The reason I was asking about 2.2E power is that I have never driven one and just wanted to make sure I would be happy if I went this route
    Sorry for the rambling but thats the reason for my dilema,Marty

Numbers Matching!

If it were me, I'd do what it took to restore the S.

Drop the E MFI motor in the T get it running and sell it along with the original T motor as a package deal. Someone who sees the potential in the originality of the T would go for that in a heartbeat as long as it came with it's original drivetrain. Keep the sport seats and S spoiler for the S, maybe even consider keeping the RS flares for the S if you wanted to hot rod it a bit. Or sell them off to offset the cost of putting original flares back on the S. Front bumpers for the S are standard for all models that year. Not expensive at all. Then you have two of the most desirable accessories for the S to play with. The sport seats and the front spoiler. The only thing you won't have is the S MFI which I encourage you to find. It's not an impossible task by any means. Believe me for the stock 2.2 E or S you want to have the MFI.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael,The S in question is here although I don't know how to transfer pis from another thread.A friend of mine"coldstart" had thrown it up on the for sale board to get a feel for what I had when I first bought it,It looks a little better than that now but I would like to get your opinion if you could find it.Thanks, Marty

Here she is

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=11860

I remember this thread. I thought it was worth savin.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I've had both MFI and stock Zeniths (from a 70T) on my stock 2.4 T eng and the power difference with MFI is noticeably greater. The Zeniths seemed to be calibrated well enough for daily driving without surging, etc....But couldn't hold a candle to the MFI. I want to put MFI on everything now - the lawn mower???
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!