Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driveability and collectability of sportomatics

Driveability and collectability of sportomatics

I am considering the purchase of a 73 911 with a sportomatic. I have never driven one before. Any experiences? Any opinions on valuation compared to 5 speed.
    Thanks,
    Phil

seems as though they are rising stars. maybe not so desirable to most but they have their place. IMO if it was the only early 911 I was going to own then I would opt for the 5 spd but if you have others why not

best of luck with the purchas
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    I am considering the purchase of a 73 911 with a sportomatic. I have never driven one before. Any experiences? Any opinions on valuation compared to 5 speed.

I've owned my SWB Sporto for ten years now - and it's a wonderful fun thing - it takes some getting used to - but when mastered you can hussle the car along very quickly. And for town driving it's a gem - there's no alternative.

But, as posted earlier, they're quirky, unsual things - and if this is to be your first and or only 911 fun car, a manual will always give more driving pleasure if you want to press on.

My wife and I have been back to the factory in our Sporto and traveled all over Europe - it's a very relaxed tourer.

They are increasingly rare as so many cars had their box ripped out in favour of a 901 or 915 - if you look at the stigma 'Tiptronic' has today, it was the same when these cars were new.

If you want a relaxed yet spirited drive, plan on doing long distance runs and one something genuinely unique - get a sporto

As to value - a few years ago a Sport would have been worth perhaps 10% less than a manual car - it seems with the renewed interest in them, they're holding firm with manual cars.

HTH

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Thanks for the comments, I have plenty of manual gearbox 911's. I figured I would try one of these just for kicks.
    Phil

I know I would like a sporto for my next early 911. If that day ever comes
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

I owned a 73 S Euro sporto, with a 2.7 RS spec. I sold it to Earl Green. I REGRET SELLING IT DAILY. I took it to many DE, the best at Road Atlanta. It was like driving a chain saw. S sportos have a torque convertor which locks up 300 rpm highter than standard, if my memory serves. I remember when I first tried to sell it, I posted it here. It was not well thought of. I also had a 69 S with a brand new supertec 2.8 that I was selling at the same time. The sporto will prove to be a wonderful Porsche experience. I am always on the lookout for another. There is a sporto setup in classifieds rigt now, I have a 71 T with a hot rod 3.0, I wonder...
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

I know I would like a sporto for my next early 911. If that day ever comes
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Here is a link to the sporto page. Earls car is there. You will understand my regret for parting wth it. http://sportomatic.org/
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

I have a 67 built S with a 4-speed factory matching numbers sporto - one of the first sportos and definitely one of the first ever made for an S - I love it. Nothing like driving an early sporto.

Bill, that 73S sporto is beautiful - I won't rub it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche
    I have a 67 built S with a 4-speed factory matching numbers sporto - one of the first sportos and definitely one of the first ever made for an S - I love it. Nothing like driving an early sporto.

Hey Erwin - do you mind me asking the chassis number? Mine is an 'L' - chassis number 11810056 making it very, very early in '67 (August build) and I've been on the look out for an earlier RHD.

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808